Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 10-yr-old daughter has decided that she'd really like a dart frog (her goal is azureus currently). Now upon agreeing to this, I didn't quite realize that keeping them would require a nearly undergraduate-degree level of research and preparation ;-). So after much reading, some shopping, and more reading this is what we've come up with.

I was able to obtain a previously used 24x18x24 exo-terra that had last housed pdfs about 18 months ago (and been vacant since). The hobbyist i obtained it from seemed trustworthy and knowledgable and represented that his animals had been happy and healthy when he was required to re-home them. I completed multiple cycles of 10% bleach solution / 30 minute rest / fresh water rinse and boiled the substrate components (leca, aquarium gravel, fibreglass screen) before purchasing the soil blend from a local frog specialty store (Jungle Jewel Exotics).

My target with this terrarium is 'sufficient' or likely 'sufficient +' rather than perfect as i'm relying on my daughter for plant selection and the installation process.

Here's how we have progressed so far:
301269


301268

Plants include
Two bromeliads (Neoregelia-Wild Rabbit front right; Mini Neoregelia- Chiquita Linda Rear Left)
Ribbon Plant (Rear left)
Bronze Pilea (Front Left, top)
Pteris Fern (Rear Right, bottom)
Fittonia (Left Rear, bottom; Middle rear top ledge).
Unknown (lost the tag for the tall one in the middle)

Springtails were added and I have plans to obtain Isopods, leaf litter, and some coconut-shell hides in two weeks time (or about once i feel the plants/hardscape are all figured out).

So besides general insight you may have, here are a few areas I'm curious about:
I think i'll switch the bromeliads (put the larger one on the branch lower and towards the back and bring the smaller higher up and forward)... I now see that most terrariums feature bromeliads 'tipped forward' - would mimicking that be appropriate?
Plant load... we've plans to find a vine to trail across the ledge at the back, but otherwise how close are we... 50% there...75%... 100%?
Floor space... Do we need to add additional hardscape to help the tincs access the upper features or will they be able to climb up there already.

Thanks again and we look forward to being active and contributing members of the hobby going forward.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,168 Posts
Welcome aboard!

It looks like you're off to a great start. I would recommend putting a piece of cork (or other wood such as manzanita) to create a ramp up to one of the wood outcroppings. There's still a lot of "empty" space, I tend to try to fill these spaces with wood / seed pods / etc. for the frogs to climb on.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
4,860 Posts
Looks good so far. I agree that more hardscape would be desirable; I really like cork rounds as they can be used inside and out by the frogs and have more than one exit. Letting it grow for a month will give a better idea of whether you need more plants.

Broms growing at an angle are likely an artifact of growing out of a wall; when mounted on a branch, they grow straight. I'd leave your like it is.
 
  • Like
Reactions: zdad

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can't believe its been 10 days already!

Of course I keep checking the local classifieds and was able to grab a second 24x18x24 (medium tall) Exo-terra that's now sitting in the garage ready to start once this original tank is settled in lol.

We have continued to add some plant and hardscape materials.
Button Fern (bottom front left)
Lipstick plant (top back right)
'Baby Rubberplant' Peperomia obtusifolia (bottom mid left and one to the right)
'String of Pearls' Senecio rowleyanus (top back middle) - more of a succulent but is in the warmest/driest position
Peperomia deppeana (bottom mid left) - planted in a cork round
'Rattlesnake plant' Calathea lancifolia (bottom front left)
'Swiss Cheese' Monstera adansonii (mid front right) - I tried to mount this epiphytically (?) on a piece of driftwood.
Plus some moss and lichen through the terrarium.

301450


301451


Surprising to me is that all of the items added so far have thrived and we have not had any dieback with any of the plants so far... hopefully that bodes well for the future. All plants were purchased from specialist (pesticide free) nurseries, were rinsed and taken to bare root by washing out all of the original soil. Tank is misted once daily.

Plans for this week include obtaining some isopods, leaf litter and the last of the hardscaping items and then putting down a deposit on a couple of the azureous frogs.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
4,860 Posts
Glad things are going well. :)[

QUOTE="zdad, post: 3136554, member: 129981"]
All plants were purchased from specialist (pesticide free) nurseries, were rinsed and taken to bare root by washing out all of the original soil.
[/QUOTE]
On the next build you might consider a more rigorous plant treatment protocol; a bleach dip prevents lots of plant and microfauna pests (and possible frog pathogens) down the road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad things are going well. :)

On the next build you might consider a more rigorous plant treatment protocol; a bleach dip prevents lots of plant and microfauna pests (and possible frog pathogens) down the road.
Will do! I have bleach on hand but never thought to use it.

Hardscape items were boiled for 30 minutes and then baked at 225F for an hour.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top