Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I am new to this. You guys have a wealth of information here! I have been reading for 2 weeks on this site- I think I have read almost every topic here. I have a few questions- I have gotton the answer to most of them just by reading, but I will start with this one. Is there a difference in Poison Dart Frogs and Poison Arrow Frogs? From what I have read they seem to be one in the same, but I went into my local pet shop recently and asked if the carried Poison Dart Frogs and the girl asked me if I meant Poison Arrow Frogs- so who is the uninformed one- me or her?
Thanks. Niki

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
d

Niki,

Welcome to the board!
There is no difference in dart and arrow frogs. Same difference.

Read all you can and learn everything you can! These little frogs are wonders of nature and you'll enjoy them once you start. I'll warn you though, they are addictive!

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
They are really the same. The South American Indians (I believe Choco or something like that) used the "poison" from the terribilis on the tips of their darts (for blowguns, not bow and arrow). This is the information I have found on their name. Most people on here probably say dart frogs, usually even dropping the poison (again from what I understand). Someone else will probably post too to let you know if I am right on this subject. There are three dart frogs that are the most toxic and are lethal to human. They are Phyllobates terribilis, bicolor, and I believe aurotaenia (check spelling).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank guys!! I have wanted to build a vivarium for a long time, but I am just now getting all the information I need to actually start. I will try to take pictures along the way so you can see how it turns out and let me know how I can make it better. Niki

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am going to try to go to the Reptile show that is in Shelbyville,KY in April so that I can get some ideas and more information. Are there many people from this board that attend the KY shows?

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
I don't know who is planning on attending the April Shelbyville, KY meet but suspect that you will run into the folks from Quality Captives. I give them my highest recommendation in terms of the quality of their frogs, supplies and information. If you haven't viewed their website yet, take a look:

http://www.qualitycaptives.com

Welcome to the wonderful world of PDFs and best of luck!

Newbie to PDFs, old timer at reptiles and amphibians :lol:

Elmo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the recommendation. It is actually from their website that I first learned of the KY show.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I certainly believe it- I don't have my first one done yet and I am already thinking about the other empty fishtanks I have!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts