Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided I wanted to start up a terrarium (dart frogs may or may not be added to it later on). I was perfectly content doing a false bottom with the egg crate and screen over it. I was going to use the Great Stuff background with coco fiber over it. I tried running the construction of this over with my boyfriend, and he decided it needed a waterfall.

I'm hesitant with a waterfall because I really don't want to deal with the pump and tubings getting plugged and/or the bacterial growth that can be associated with it. One thing led to another and now he wants the entire back to "drip". I have no idea what this is called. I have no idea how to do this.

His idea was that we would make almost a false back somehow. Same concept as the false bottom, but basically we'd get the egg crate to go vertically along the backside about an inch or two away from the glass. Seal it all up with silicone and then run all the tubing in the back (able to reach the bottom of the tank, so the egg crate would almost make an "L" shape along the back if that makes sense). He wanted to drill little holes through the egg crate/great stuff to put nozzles throughout the back.

He knows nothing about this, and I know little to nothing about this. Will this "crack pot scheme" actually work? Does anyone have any plans with pictures (diagrams) for us? He's more of a builder and is interested in the actual construction of the tank; I get all the fun of planting and keeping it. If he had "blue prints" to look at with little diagrams he'd do better. Otherwise I'd do the reading/researching and then I'd have to dictate to him how to do it (and let's just say I'm not the best with explaining things).

We're looking to do this in a 29g tank, I don't know if that matters at all in answering my question.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
It is called a "drip wall". I've never built one myself but can tell you they are good for moss growth. Use the search function on the green bar to look for "drip wall" and I'll bet you can get some ideas.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did a search and read through a couple of threads and I *think* I have it down. I made him come over to look at the stuff and he has a better idea of how it's made now too. Is there anyone who would be comfortable looking at our "plans" on pen and paper to tell us if we're on the right track? I'd hate to go through the work only to find out it doesn't work at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts