Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I do have a question. I purchased 4 Auratus from Under the Canopy Farms about 3 days ago. And I'm not sure if they are eating enough. The Frogs are about 1 or two months old and should be eating a lot of FFs. My question, is Hydei to large of a Fly to feed them? Currently, I am feeding them some Turkish Gliders and Regular Melaganstor. Thanks for any help!!!

G

·
How big of a tank are they in? If its excessively huge they might have troubles at first finding the food. I personally would wait untill they are bigger to feed hydei since they are still froglets and might be intimidated by larger food. You can also look into feeding springtails. Good luck

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
...I agree, stick with the Melaganstor for now (or smaller food items) and keep the enclosure small and simple. With 3-4 month old froglets, I would keep them in an enclosure comparable in size to a 10gal. Put down a simple substrate (i.e. wet paper towel) and provide some hiding places so they feel safe (i.e. pathos leaves and/or curved corkwood).

I know you probably have a beautiful vivarium, however the most important thing is the health of your frogs. Make sure they are eating well, increasing in body weight, and do not show signs of stress or disease. Once you establish this, you can acclimate them into their new permanent home. Enjoy your Auratus, they are a great frog !!

·
Registered
356 Posts
kleinhanz said:
Make sure they are eating well, increasing in body weight, and do not show signs of stress or disease.
now the first part of this is pretty common sense. my frogs have been eating pretty well (they gobble up everything they see when i dump flies in the tank), and i could be imagining it, but their coloration and size looks to have improved a bit even since sunday (could be just wishful thinking).

but the second part of what you mentioned is a little tricker for us beginner enthusiasts. what should look for, stress-wise?

G

·
Hey Mark,

When I had my auratus breeding the newly morphed froglets could eat a hydei, but I normally kept them on mels until 6 weeks. If they are close to 2 months you should have no problem feeding them hydei.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Mark,
I'm still feeding mels (gliders) to my three but I am anxious to bump them up to hydei. The nice thing about the mels is that they let you get used to culturing since they are quicker to reproduce. I also have termites, spingtails, and rice flour beetles. Let me know what you decide and I'll do the same since ours are a month apart in age.
Mike

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Everyone.

Thanks for the tips everyone. As with you Dunner, I'm feeding mine Gliders and RFB larva. I know they are eating, because when I put in FFs (appx. 80), they are all gone by the next day with the exception of a few stragglers. :) I have noticed that the Auratus are very active during the day and tend to settle down in late afternoon.

As for stress, I think they are doing fine. I will check for the signs that were noted in a previous post. But so far so good. Also, Dunner, where did you get your springtails? I wouldnt mind getting some for my Juvies but would rather not pay for shipping. I live about one hour south of D.C.

Thanks again everyone!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts