Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I am new to the forum and new to dart frogs. I have been interested in them for a while and have read up on them in the past a picked up a few books on them and have finally decided to take the plunge. I have been reading all sorts of info on the web, and have read through quite a few topics here. I have been gathering materials for the past two weeks though having a hard time finding some. Any good shops to check out in the Chicagoland area? Any carry corkbark, cocoa palm panels, or coconut panels? Any carry dart frogs? I am located in N.E. Illinois near Gurnee. I am looking to attend the Lee Watsons show on Sun. and hopefully find what I need.
If you have any other good websites to check out for good info please let me know here or feel free to e-mail me. Any help is appreciated. TIA

Stephen Murphy

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Welcome Stephen. You should see some nice frogs at Lee Watsons. Pete Mertens and Bill Weirts each have quality frogs and bring a good selection. Speaking of Pete, be sure to join us at the next Midwest Dendrobate Group meeting on Sunday October 3rd. This will be a great opportunity to meet the local froggers, chat, maybe even acquire some frogs. PM me if you need more info.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Indeed, welcome! I am in Chicago as well. (Really IN Chicago, like, downtown and all that!) The MDG meeting would be a great place to start; I plan on attending the next one and meeting all these crazies for the first time as well!

I have had great luck dealing with Bill & Kathy at Lee Watkins. Got a few of my frogs from them, and a few shipped from Patrick. Also, as far as supplies, this is the path I went. Keep cruising the websites etc for ideas, and then apply those ideas & your own creativity to your vivarium.

Pretty nice ones can be constructed with a combination of “found” objects, like rocks, and things you can pick up at any of the better (relative) pet stores, and hardware things from the Home Despot. That’s what I have done thus far.

Aside from coveting Marty’s (he’s here on Dendroboard) custom tanks/rack. That’s my next step after buying a loft I can modify to suit ALL occupants in the house. (Husband, cats, frogs, etc.) I want to build it into a sheetrock wall in the living room, but when I am renting, my landlord might not appreciate it. Ack well….

·
Registered
850 Posts
maxwells said:
...I plan on attending the next one and meeting all these crazies for the first time as well!

Are you classifying me as a crazy. Thats awesome, I've never been called a crazy before. I mean, I've been called obsessive and sometimes a freak, but a crazy is new. I like it. :D

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Crazy? Me? ...... Okay so you outed me ...... :shock:

Hope to see you there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts