Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've been lurking on this site for quite some time now and thought that maybe now was time to introduce myself....

Like many of you I have a high interest in frogs. I am a complete beginner in the hobby however and I'm sure that many of you will help me a lot with all the little.... or big problems I will surely encounter while I try to get more seriously into this hobby.

Past experience: I currently have two geckos(guess what kind..;)) in a naturalistic setup and I've been breeding them with some success in the past three years.

Current project: I'm almost done with a completely custom 150 gallons I've been working on for the last 3 months. This vivarium is 37" long X 23" wide X 39" high and have a nice waterfall from top to bottom. (I will post some pics as soon as I stop spending all my money on the vivarium and save enough to buy a digital camera. :roll:)

Anyway, I'm glad I found this site!! :D

The first frog I would like to get are Leuc.(maybe 3 or 4) I think I'll be ready to get some end of june if everything goes well with the plants and stuff.

Some of you know where I can get some in canada?? I've done some researchs and no luck so far. :cry:

Thanks

Charles

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I can't count how often I've been to Understory's site to see if there were any updates. :)

I wrote to him a while back and he does not have any Leucomelas....at least for now.

The reason I would prefer some Leuc is because my Tank is very high and I've been told that Leuc likes to climb a lot more than say...Azureus. Another important reasons is that the call of this frog is really nice. :D

Phyllobate Vittatus is another one that I'd like but I think I have even less chances of finding this specie so...

On the other hand Azureus or auratus are also good beginner frogs and if I can't find any Leuc I guess I'll go with one of those.

For now I'm more concentrated on the plants so I still have time to think about all this.

Thanks for the reply by the way. :D

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Welcome aboard! I think all of us, no matter how experienced in the hobby, are beginners in some form or another. :wink:

·
Registered
986 Posts
Welcome to the board! I think leucomelas are a GREAT choice for a "beginner frog" (great choice for anyone IMHO), and perfect for your setup. I look forward to seeing your custom setup!

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I'd put thme in a smaller tank before you introduce thme into that larger one. I had some of my darts have trouble finding food in a 20 gallon long, imagine a tank like yours. Also will cost you a lot of money to set that up with some nice plants and such.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I thought about that Derek, using a smaller tank to begin with is probably the thing to do, specialy if the frogs I get are not adults. Its a huge tank but so far I'm pleased with the result, looks nothing short of spectacular in my appartment. :D

For the plant costs, I'm afraid you are also right but I kind of knew about that when I started the project. So of the guys I work with likes motorcycles and spend a lot of money in that, me...well I like frogs. :wink:

Glad to be here!

Charles

1 - 8 of 8 Posts