Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are tons of lighting questions out there but i cant find a real clear answer. Would a single 18" bulb on a 18x18x24 exo be enough light. If so which light should i get?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
It depends on what your goals are...If you want to have a nice colourful lush tank, a single tube will not be enough. If you are content with keeping low light plants alive and having the minimum amount of light needed, then it should do just fine.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
It depends on lighting system too. T 12s would be rather dim. T5 would support pothos and simple things. Power Compact or Compact florescent would support a lot of things but would have more heat output than a pair of T-5s. I don't care for the diminished output you get from shorter, (less than 2 ft.) single tubes, however. On an 18 I would look into power compact. Even a shorter power compact would give more light than an 18" T5.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well basically i know nothing about lighting and i have and 18" hood and two of those basic bulb reflectors lying around and was just wondering what lighting i could use with those that would work or if im going to need to get a new fixture.

thanks

·
Registered
446 Posts
I use just a single of the larger spiral compact flourescent bulbs (think its 26w) from wal mart.. was like $5.90 for a two pack. I have that over my 18x18x24 and things are doing pretty well.

·
Registered
725 Posts
if you do go the reflector dome route, make sure you get the big ones! the small ones hardly are ever big enough to hold a cfl, and the top of it sticks out so they never lay flush. btw, hardware stores have them for a lot cheaper!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts