Dendroboard banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm new here, it's URBAN FROGZ who give me your url, originaly for the "August's Photo Contest" :wink:

I have D. Leucomelas and D.Azureus for the moment.

For my introduction here, i show you my last tank, just finished last month, so i wait now that the ficus grown on the background ;)

Obviously, now the water is brown and not clear like that ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tank dimension in cm:
L=120
l=60
H=70

All the background and the waterfall was done in polyurethane. for the end of the waterfall, a piece of plexiglass is inserted in the polyurethane.

And a close up on the waterfall
Riviere = River
Bassin = Pull
Cascade = Waterfall
Marecage = Swamp

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is a very beautiful set-up! :D And I especially like the great pictures of the construction stages.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I love the tank, it looks great. What did you use to cover the foam with after it hardened? It looks a bit more natural than the shredded cocohusk on top of silicon.

rob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank ;)

When the foarm is solid, i paint it with acrylic brush (white, black, brown). After i put 4 layers of epoxy resin on it. During i pass the 4th layer, i cover the surface with peat. The few peat that glue in the resin layer give a realistic effect and break the brightness of the resin.

The resin i used is called R123 from SOLOPLAST, i think this name must be the same in other country.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
for the painting and the resin process i don't have special picture.

you can see here the document of the full process, off course it's in french, but you can see all the pictures. In this document i explain the trap with the foam when used out of the tank, and the necessary delay between each resin layers.

And if your are interresting, i can translate it (but i have a poor english grammar :( )

http://www.dendrogrove.com/terra/deco2.php

·
Premium Member
13,229 Posts
I guess I just don't get the painting part...

So did you put the resin on then just sprinkle on peat?

Amphiprion said:
for the painting and the resin process i don't have special picture.

you can see here the document of the full process, off course it's in french, but you can see all the pictures. In this document i explain the trap with the foam when used out of the tank, and the necessary delay between each resin layers.

And if your are interresting, i can translate it (but i have a poor english grammar :( )

http://www.dendrogrove.com/terra/deco2.php

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
exactly

I guess I just don't get the painting part...
For the painting process, use only painting without solvent. I use Acrylic for that.
As soon as the foam hardened, i use the bomb of black painting. I paint completly the surface, especially the hollows.
Then i use the brown color to paint more or less all the surface (to give realistic effect), and the more important is to not paint the hollows with this color.
And the last touch, is done with the white painting, just put some little pulse on the top of the relief, to increase the 3D feeling.

Hope this answer to your question, and sorry for my english

·
Premium Member
13,229 Posts
So the epoxy is clear and put on last then covered with a little peat?

I really like that method, and might have to try it....

Amphiprion said:
exactly

[quote:1f2l2zz4]I guess I just don't get the painting part...
For the painting process, use only painting without solvent. I use Acrylic for that.
As soon as the foam hardened, i use the bomb of black painting. I paint completly the surface, especially the hollows.
Then i use the brown color to paint more or less all the surface (to give realistic effect), and the more important is to not paint the hollows with this color.
And the last touch, is done with the white painting, just put some little pulse on the top of the relief, to increase the 3D feeling.

Hope this answer to your question, and sorry for my english[/quote:1f2l2zz4]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
kyle1745 said:
So the epoxy is clear and put on last then covered with a little peat?
yes the epoxy is clair. The only default it's the brightness, so that's why i put peat on it ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
for me R123.

i don't know if all epoxy resin have the same quality, but just verify that the resign is neutral when the polymerisation is completed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts