Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something to keep in mind. I just built the structure of the pond/waterfall/background. The viv is my mothers for whom I'm doing all the leg work (which is fine because I enjoy it :)). She painted the rocks/waterfall/background and picked out and placed the plants and will also pick the frogs. I might have done things differently, probably would have made the structure a lot different, but I think it still looks nice.

Waterfall:

Pond:

The substrate is a bottom layer of Turface and the main soil is something as close to ABG mix as I could make. The waterfall is a separate piece from the pond which allows easy access to the pump. The structure of the pond and waterfall was made using the styrofoam/grout/sealer method.

The lid of the tank, which is an Exo-Terra cube, has been glassed over. I also have a bunch of FF cultures going:

Those are booming so there should be plenty of flies for the frogs (actually there are 9 melanogaster and 9 hydei cultures :eek:). Springtails are also ready to be added.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome. This is my first build of this nature so go easy ;)

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Nice work!!!

I'm interested to see how the pitcher does. I believe that kind of pitcher needs a dormancy period. Please keep us updated on that. If it works, I might have to throw some in my tanks. :D

·
Registered
568 Posts
Add more leaves, put some in the water too. Add some Java moss to the pond area. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice work!!!

I'm interested to see how the pitcher does. I believe that kind of pitcher needs a dormancy period. Please keep us updated on that. If it works, I might have to throw some in my tanks. :D
Thanks!

Yeah we'll see about the pitchers. I'm not too sure about the plants, as I was not the one who researched them. My mom really wanted to pick out and plant the viv, which is hers (she paid for everything). She just bought a bunch of plants which she said she researched and were OK.

Add more leaves, put some in the water too. Add some Java moss to the pond area. Just my thoughts.
Thanks! I'll relay your thoughts to my mom. Again, she pretty much has complete say over what goes into the viv and where it goes. I'm just setting everything up for her.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nice backround work!
Many thanks! It's actually very easy to do with some styrofoam and grout.

I added the springtails today and I think the viv is pretty much done. Now to just let it mature and add frogs :)

It kinda stinks that the project is done, though. Makes me want to put together another one...

·
Registered
596 Posts
Those are booming so there should be plenty of flies for the frogs (actually there are 9 melanogaster and 9 hydei cultures :eek:). Springtails are also ready to be added.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome. This is my first build of this nature so go easy ;)
that's enough cultures to feed quite a few frogs! You might as well build more vivariums!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that's enough cultures to feed quite a few frogs! You might as well build more vivariums!
Yeah I hear ya. Funny thing is that we have no frogs yet. I seem to like the process more than the end product with these things. It was the same when I had a reef aquarium. Was fun as hell to get everything going, but wasn't the same enjoyment after it was done as when it was being put together (not to say it wasn't very enjoyable after it was done, though).

I do likely have enough materials to build another couple vivs, so maybe if I find some time after work I'll get working on another one or two. Maybe a couple 10 gallon verts; I do have that 55 gallon sitting in the basement...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So the frogs have been ordered and will be here tomorrow. I kind of wish she would have given more time for the springtails to establish, but the FFs are booming and the viv has been up and running for a couple weeks now so it should be OK.

In any case, she got a trio of D. auratus "El Cope". Pics will follow tomorrow after they arrive. It really is a beautiful color morph. I'm excited to see them in person!

·
Registered
521 Posts
The pitcher is a Sarracenia. Won't last long, they're native to the continental US so they need a dormancy period, and normally don't like it as wet as a vivarium. It may live for a year (it it doesn't rot first) but after that it'll stop growing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The pitcher is a Sarracenia. Won't last long, they're native to the continental US so they need a dormancy period, and normally don't like it as wet as a vivarium. It may live for a year (it it doesn't rot first) but after that it'll stop growing.
I appreciate the info. I'll take it out, plant it in a pot, and try to provide it the proper conditions.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Yup. They like it really sunny, so put them infront of a South-facing window. Only distilled water, no ferts either. In the winter move them garage or something of the sort that stays below 45F but not freezing. If it has a window that'd be best, but if that's not an option it'll do just fine. I water mine about once every day or two. They do like it moist but if it doesn't drain it won't do good. Mine are grown in containers in the shape of a critter keep (so they are deep) and I use tiny pots to hold up a plane of plastic with holes drilled and then the milled peat's moss/sphagnum moss on top of that. Have fun with them! They are really neat carnivorous plants. You won't need to feed them, unless your house is absolutely bug-less. It'd be nice in the room your viv is in! Mine aren't but they still catch stray fruit flies. haha.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The pitchers have been removed from the viv and replanted. Hopefully they do OK.

The frogs arrived today. They are in a small, clear rubbermaid tub for now (wet paper towels on the bottom and a small piece of wood for them to hide under) for observation. They all look really good. Healthy looking with vibrant colors, moving about, and already have eaten some FFs. I can already see one is very bold, one is very shy, and one is in between. I'll post pics later on after they settle down a bit. The question is do I make a new thread or just post them in here?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.