Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello another newbie here looking to get in contact with a local guy/ gal in san diego area, my family is looking to get some frogs and do a tank and looking to meet someone to ask questions and view their set ups. I have had discus for years, bred them and so on but my 1 1/2 yr old likes to play with the water and drop toys in so out their tank goes and looking for frogs to put up on a shelf.. my 5 yr old turned me on to them he knows more than I do about them it seems... I know basics but looking to gain knowledge before buying anything.. any local breeders keepers and so on to the san diego area?.. our house stays 73-76 during days and 67-72 at night.. other things we keep besides discus are orchids plumerias and my kids ;) for now.... j/k

As of now looking at 30 gal but probably going to go 50 standard or tall instead, just got rid of our biotope discus 225 gal so if I got a reason to go big I will...

Any help is appreciated but I look forward to reading and learning alot.. and would love connections with locals instead of doing the pet store thing... thanks again

·
Registered
835 Posts
There are a lot of great dart folks that really know there stuff in San Diego. Try the regional forums and I am certain you can hook up with some folks.

I've done fish, both fresh and salt. I assure you will find many PDF's are far easier to breed than Discus.

Many people here would kill to have a 225 viv display. I wouldn't kick it to the curb just yet.

Let us know who you meet and what you saw. To me, there is nothing better than visiting a vet's home. I always seem to learn a tremendous amount.

Here's another hint. Offer to help do frog chores if you're invited over. That's when you put your learning curve on blast!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the 225 is long gone in a friends house now, family and I just down sized horribly instead of standing on the sidelines hoping a economic turn over... down size and live the life.... however my dad and I have made several 300 gallon tanks using glass and acrylic, so I can always help out with any locals looking for big or custom.. next tank we will make will be 6 ft tall 8 ft wide and 1 ft front to back... and of course water tight for fish.... however frogs with no water pressure much easier.. :)

F.N.G.??? Yeap that's me

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So better question, I am not new to the crazy hobbiest breeders with certain things such as discus, I have seen personal setups of 1500-2000 gal breeders with 1-200 breeding pairs alone and doing 1000 gallon water changes daily, are there any keepers in san diego that would compare to those of the fish keepers? But with frogs and variants and morphs?.. would love to see someones collection south of la including la riverside inland empire palm springs el Center tuna and of course san diego... or any business breeders...?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Fish N Game?

Hey Im in Chula Vista and would gladly show you my collection. Its only 10 vivariums with different species in a small room but if you want to check it out some time let me know.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I am In south San Diego I have about 26 vivariums and like 12 froglet containers. Your welcome to swing by and check my collection out. Its kinda far. Also theres a local meet coming up in October 1st. Really great place to get information, meet local breeders and just hang out. There will be plenty of frogs there to choose from.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts