Dendroboard banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Yes, I am a beginner, yes I have a mold question, and yes I have read other threads on the topic (so please don't judge me too harshly):) My question is this, I have a relatively new viv set up, it's been about 3 weeks, I've been seeing a little bit of the "spider-web" looking mold but nothing too serious....buttttt....I am also seeing some of this mold (or at least I think it's the same mold) growing on my substrate divider between by drainage layer and the substrate. It isn't growing in the substrate (my substrate is not rotting) or on the drainage layer ( I use clay balls so there are some significant air pockets), just on the little mesh divider. Should I be concerned?

I also have a small "water feature", which is more like a puddle/pond to give the tank some dimension, and in one area close to the feature water from the drainage layer is wicking up straight into the substrate, I can see that the substrate is darker there. It isn't saturated throughout the whole layer, just at one spot close to the mesh divider. Should I be concerned about that? I know that water from the drainage layer should never touch the substrate, and it doesn't except for that one spot. And it wasn't like that initially, I think things just settled strangely and some clay balls shifted. I can also let the water level drop a little, and maybe that could help? I don't think I have an anaerobic condition in my soil, I work with anaerobic bacteria for a living and my vivarium does not smell like that (at least not yet). I have also inoculated my vivarium with springtails to help with the mold/keep soil aerated.

Any suggestions? Comments? Tell me I'm being paranoid? All help is appreciated :D

Many thanks,
~Ana

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
If a water feature is touching your substrate eventually all of yoru substrate will be wet. It's like if you leave the very corner of a paper towel in a cup of water eventually the whole towel will be wet. Mold goes away eventually it's nothing to worry about.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts