Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my third albino alanis froglet. It seems to have a lot of yellow for an alanis. And the black spot on it's butt? I think it means he has to go poo LOL

·
Registered
696 Posts
Becky,
Any pics of the older ones? I'd like to see how they mature.
Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To answer everyone's posts....

I am calling them alanis, because everyone I talk to tells me they are one or the other, so I gave up calling them definately one or the other. If I were to call them infers, I'd have gotten a post saying they are not LOL

None are really much older yet, but I will keep posting pics of them as they grow. Here is the older one, like I said, not much difference, but it seems to be getting more purple...

The adults are normal colored, there's no adult albinos....will have to wait until they grow up. The parent's pics are in my gallery.

Becky

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im a little confused with these Alanas frogs being called albino :?: Correct me if im wrong but is an albino not a creature missing most if not all certain pigments resulting in the "common" white skin , fur or hair and with pink eyes :?: Would you refer to a Blonde haired person with very white blond hair an albino ?Id think these are just a genetic flaw , have these abnormalitys been found in the wild or just captive breed ? Since the first one appeared have you kept a log or studied possibilities as to what has caused this, i find it very interesting and would love to read any of that information.They sure are an awesome looking frog , good luck with them. :wink: P.s. How are they with Light are they sensitive to it ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
zoso said:
Im a little confused with these Alanas frogs being called albino :?: Correct me if im wrong but is an albino not a creature missing most if not all certain pigments resulting in the "common" white skin , fur or hair and with pink eyes :?: Would you refer to a Blonde haired person with very white blond hair an albino ?Id think these are just a genetic flaw , have these abnormalitys been found in the wild or just captive breed ? Since the first one appeared have you kept a log or studied possibilities as to what has caused this, i find it very interesting and would love to read any of that information.They sure are an awesome looking frog , good luck with them. :wink: P.s. How are they with Light are they sensitive to it ?
That is true with albino mamals, but if you look at reptiles that are called albino, they have color...like an albino python is yellow and white. Albino bullfrogs are bright yellow. My frog's eyes are light, they glow reddish in light, but I can't really tell what color they are. I am not 100% sure they are albino, I just don't know what else to call them for now. Sara from Quality Captives has the same froglets I do, and she is going to send a tad in to get genetically tested...then I will probably know more.

I don't know anything about what caused this besides that it is probably genetic, because there are a couple other people who have the same thing, and they got their frogs from the same person. I guess from what I've heard, the parents of the albino froglets are f1. I only have 3 froglets so far, and they are very young obviously, so I have not done anything as far as seeing if they are sensitive to light yet, but I am planning on it when they are old enough to go into an actual terrarium.

Becky

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
rmelancon said:
I'm calling them Inferalanis based on their bloodline, which can be traced back to my WC adults which are Inferalanis.
Are you the person we got these from?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
You did not buy them directly from me but the others (3 that I know of) that are producing the "albinos" like you have my bloodline through Bill Wierts at Quality Exotics. The jury is still out on exactly what to call the odd coloration and what the exact genetics are but it seems to be a double recessive gene(s) which would mean the trait would only show itself when two f1's (possibly later) from my bloodline were crossed. This has not been proven but is my theory at the moment.

The odds of you having a different bloodline producing the same "albino" frogs is very small.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I wanted to give a good example of what was said about colors and albinoism. Ron Tremper who is one of biggest breeders of albino leopard geckos has many many variations of albino leopard gecks which colors range from yellow to firey red. heres his link...

http://www.leopardgecko.com

I havent really looked through it in a while but if I remember right the site explains about the color variants, or maybe not.

booga

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
"albino" is basically just a laymans term, so there really isn't a definition of it. Generally in reptiles it just means they are missing melinin.... this could happen and many different points on a genome. It could give you "albinos" with regular colored eyes, like the vents, it could give you 4 different strains of albinos leopard geckos (that yes, when bred together, produce hets for two different strains of albinism).

It could give you these werid colored froglets (I thought alanis legs were the same color as the back background color, yet in these albinos the back is purplish and the legs are clear, weird).

The variation in color of the leos from pale yellow to almost red is selective breeding of the background color (tangerines) that he bred into his bloodlines. The variations in Tremper's leos are the variation of the albino gene, but rather the variation in designer morphs he bred into his albino colonies.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks to all for the explanation on albinos within reptiles, It makes sence that there are sure to be differences between a warm blooded animal vs a cold blooded reptiles. With the various forums I visit for the various creatures I have , Dendroboard has always got people here with experience and the knowledge to help resolve most all problems or questions. :wink: Lets all hope and work towards keeping our frogs as nature created them and not have the same thing happen thats happened with the geckos and corn snakes ( im sure many other reptiles)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
rmelancon said:
You did not buy them directly from me but the others (3 that I know of) that are producing the "albinos" like you have my bloodline through Bill Wierts at Quality Exotics. The jury is still out on exactly what to call the odd coloration and what the exact genetics are but it seems to be a double recessive gene(s) which would mean the trait would only show itself when two f1's (possibly later) from my bloodline were crossed. This has not been proven but is my theory at the moment.

The odds of you having a different bloodline producing the same "albino" frogs is very small.
Ok, I only remember a little about genetics from biology class....so if that is true, once the parents are gone, the "albinos" or whatever they are, cannot be produced anymore? In that case I think I'll have to start treating those two like royalty! I am not happy that I sold the other female now, I had two and sold one because it was an extra and was fighting with the one I have now.

As for the inferalanis/alanis thing....i will call them infers from now on. It's jsut that when I got them, I talked to so many people about and no one could come up with an answer. I just got sick of people telling they were or were not infers every time I put a label on them. But now that I am sure they are from wildcaught parents, I will stick with inferalanis :)

Becky

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
If the offspring are fertile, they will have "albino" babies (all the babies will be albino in an albino x albino mating, if the gene is recessive). If you mate the albinos to normals (again, assuming the gene is recessive), they will give 100% Heterozygous for Albino babies (which will carry the trait, but not show it). If these hets are mated roughly 25% of the babies will be albino and the rest will be 66% Hets (50% of the total offspring will be hets, 25% will be pure normal). So, as long as you raise a number of the babies to adult-hood and they are fertile, the line will not need to die out. Also the parents are (by proof) 100% het for albino, and the albino siblings are 66% het for albino.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts