Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

A few of my vittatus tadpoles had a smoked over look to them, as compared to the solid back they are normally. I have one starting to morph out and got a few pictures. He was raised and fed with a group of beautiful "copper" colored froglets. I have heard a few stories about these (Anerythristic?) guys before, but had never seen pictures. I will keep the board updated on the growth of this guy.

PS: I will NOT sell this guy or tadpoles that look like this, so please don't ask me.

edit: spelling and fixing spacing

·
Registered
986 Posts
Very good photograpy. I was not aware that these types of specimen were that common. Do you think this may be a function of old blood lines limiting the gene pool due to inbreeding, or are there just some species that are just predisposed to this condition? Thanks for posting this.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Homer.

Well Mike called this one. Today when I got home the froglet was dead.
I am guessing drowning, but can't be 100%. Oh well have 3 more tads like this so I will monitor them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used to get yellow Fantsticus tads that I guess were albino, only a couple came out of the water, they were almost translucent with the copper colored stripes. None ever ate and both died shortly after morphing, they did have reddish colored eyes and I am guessing did not see well if at all. I am now breeding the yellows again (2 generations removed) it will be interesting to see if this trait shows up again. As for your tad drowning when I was getting Bassleri and Siverstonei tads the most frustrating thing was haveing them drown 3-4 days before they would be ready to come out of the water (it seemed they could drown in literally a teaspoon if water). I got to the point of pulling them 2 or 3 days after popping their front legs (with no ill effects), you might want to try this with the remaing 2 if the next one has problems.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got another one.....
I got him out of the water faster so he couldn't drown. Only time will tell how strong he will be...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update. dead....
It died around 10 day out of the water.
It was eating, an active up until its death.
I have 1 tad like this left so, I will get try 3 in a few weeks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts