Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from Andy's Orchids up in Encinitas about twenty minutes from my place. I was not sure what to expect but left amazed! The place is awesome. So many orchids. They had like 4 greenhouses stuffed with orchids. Andy estimated he had anywhere from 500 to 750 thousand plants. I had to duck my head to look around the greenhouses. Anyways, I had a guide take me through the facilities and help direct me to stuff she thought she would do well in my setup. She was very patient and helpful, a pleasure to work with. I will definately be going back.

Anyways, here's what I came home with

Bulbophyllum alagense large form
Bulbophyllum fraudulentum
Cishweinfia rostrata
Haraella ordata
Lusidia discolor alba
Maxillaria uncata
Podochilus muricatus
Stelis sp mini (Brazil)
Vanilla planifolia varigated green and white

Anybody have any first hand experience with any of these species?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Very nice, and don't mind Mitch he is having a rough day.
I just purchased some orchids at Frog day I'm hoping do well in my viv. In fact i for the same maxallaria and two species of stellis. I'm curious how the Cishweinfia works out for you. Lately have frequented andy's website and had my eye on a Cishweinfia.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Very nice, and don't mind Mitch he is having a rough day.
I just purchased some orchids at Frog day I'm hoping do well in my viv. In fact i for the same maxallaria and two species of stellis. I'm curious how the Cishweinfia works out for you. Lately have frequented andy's website and had my eye on a Cishweinfia.
Hey! All I want is some pics haha :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Just a quick note for all you locals, Andy's in not open to the public without an appointment. You can't just "show up" and have a look around.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Did I read correctly between 500 and 750 thousand plants? As in 500,000 to 750,000!? Tell me these are clones/individual plants not species, otherwise I might blow a gasket.

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
Did I read correctly between 500 and 750 thousand plants? As in 500,000 to 750,000!? Tell me these are clones/individual plants not species, otherwise I might blow a gasket.
Yeah plants, not species. There are believed to "only" be about 30,000 species of orchids.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Andy told me he grows over 1,000 SPECIES of orchid last time I saw him. RIDICUOUS.

Nice score on the orchids. The V. pLanifolia will get huge in a viv, and each flower lasts only a single day. All the rest should be great choices for viv plants

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Yeah plants, not species. There are believed to "only" be about 30,000 species of orchids.
Yeah that's what I thought, I wouldn't think Andy would make a mistake like that.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just a quick note for all you locals, Andy's in not open to the public without an appointment. You can't just "show up" and have a look around.
I definately should have mentioned this. I called on monday to make my appointment. Definately wasn't a flyby.

Andy told me he grows over 1,000 SPECIES of orchid last time I saw him. RIDICUOUS.

Nice score on the orchids. The V. pLanifolia will get huge in a viv, and each flower lasts only a single day. All the rest should be great choices for viv plants
I asked him how many species he grows and I forgot what he said. I was stuck on the fact that he was caring for over a half million plants! The magnitude of what I saw today must be seen to be believed.

Thanks for the heads up with the v. planifolia. Andy showed me a lizard vivarium he had that had a v. planifolia in and it looked great. Plus my guide told me that it could be trimmed and that taking cuttings was easy. My guide also told me that V. planifolia would only bloom once the vine reached like nine feet or some other ridiculous length which it obviously won't in my 18" cube exoteras. I got the varigated type but they also had another cultivar that was just green. I chose the varigated type because the green one appeared too much like pothos, had much larger leaves than the varigated, and was lankier looking.

I've got bulbophyllum alagense and it's growing like a weed!
Good to know that it has done well for you. I really like its growth habit. I was told that cuttings from this were relatively easy to take and mount. Have you or anyone else out there tried this? It looks like I could take several cuttings right now but I think I'm going to wait a while.

Hey! All I want is some pics haha :rolleyes:
I just took some pictures tonight. I need to take my camera over to a friends house to transfer them over to a computer (I don't have a cord). Wish I had more skill with a camera, but think I got some decent shots. I'll try to get them posted tomorrow or the day after.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts