Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a similar post not long ago but it doesnt seem to be showing up, sooo attempt #2

Ive never kept PDF's, but I've been reading up on them for a while and feel I am ready to start.

I am going to start building my 20 gal tall set up tomorow, unsure yet which species I want, either leuc's or tinc's. Im going to be doing an eggcrate false bottom, and am ordering a bag of ABG from josh's for the substrate with a layer of spagnum moss on top (speaking of which is it sold live or is it basically cocofiber made out of spagnum?)

The back and sides will be eggcrate with great stuff foam with cork bark pushed into it, covered in silicone and coated with cocofiber

the water under the eggcrate will have a small hang on the back fishtank filter, to clean the water and return it via a trickle water fall creating a small, shallow water bowl sized pool.

Am I doing anything wrong so far?

I'm thinking of keeping a fish tank heater at the bottom of the tank in the water. Is this a good idea? what would be a better means of heating the tank?

As far as lighting Im at a complete loss, I want to keep plants in the tank but am unsure as to what would be enough light for plants while not being too much for the frogs.

Which leads to the next question, what plants would A) look good and B) fit in a 20 gal tall?

Besides all this, am I overlooking something?

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
There's NO NEED for sphagnum over the ABG. PUt leaf litter over it

There's usually NO NEED for additional heat. As long as you aren't dropping below the mid/high 60s at night you're cool.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response!

I keep my apartment at a steady 72* to make it easier to maintain temperature in my Boa Constrictors cage. But the room that I am keeping the frogs in does drop down to about 60* if i have the door closed. I plan on leaving a 2" gap behind the back wall so I can access the bottom of the tank if ever a problem arises so i could always try without a heater first and if temperature is a problem I can always add a water heater.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I plan on leaving a 2" gap behind the back wall so I can access the bottom of the tank if ever a problem arises so i could always try without a heater first and if temperature is a problem I can always add a water heater.

Is there any particular reason you're going to leave a 2" gap between your background and the back wall? Unless your background goes all the way to the glass lid you might be asking for problems (frogs squeezing through and crawling down). In a 20g tank you're going to want to conserve all the floor space you can, and a background flat against the wall will already take up plenty of space. If you're going to include a water fixture, I'd only make a corner of the tank accessible for your pump.

Also, I've never included egg crate into my foam backgrounds and I haven't had any problems with them falling apart. It's your choice, but I don't see adding it to the background as a necessary step, I'd rather save it for a future build.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats a good point. I was thinkin it would maybe improve ease of maintenance in the long run. thanks for the info, that makes it a little easier

·
Registered
564 Posts
If you do it right, the only real maintenance you'll have to do in your false bottom (if you don't have a water pump) would be to occasionally drain the water that accumulates there. If you're going to have a pool you'll just be able to syphon water out from there. If you decide to scratch the pool and go with more ground space for your frogs you can use a small pvc pipe with a cap to access the bottom with a siphon hose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts