Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice! Looking forward to seeing it completed.
This is going to be a slow build. I'm saving to go home for Christmas so I'll probably just install the bulkhead and false bottom for now. Worry about great stuff and cork rounds after my trip.

·
Super Moderator
3,201 Posts
Nice, Jason! I am certain you know this, but for all the other folks out there starting a build - when you are working on the hardscape (the branches in Jason's tank) in the early phases of the tank, don't forget to account for the height you will lose when the drainage and substrate layers go in. I usually just prop the stuff up on something to simulate the height that the branches will start at once the lower layers go in. That way, I don't get married to a particular look of the hardscape that doesn't represent how things will look once everything is completed. I have to admit that I have had to cut the tops off some branches before when they ended up being too tall after I put my drainage layer in :) Of course, you are all too smart to have to do anything stupid like that!

Mark

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice, Jason! I am certain you know this, but for all the other folks out there starting a build - when you are working on the hardscape (the branches in Jason's tank) in the early phases of the tank, don't forget to account for the height you will lose when the drainage and substrate layers go in. I usually just prop the stuff up on something to simulate the height that the branches will start at once the lower layers go in. That way, I don't get married to a particular look of the hardscape that doesn't represent how things will look once everything is completed. I have to admit that I have had to cut the tops off some branches before when they ended up being too tall after I put my drainage layer in :) Of course, you are all too smart to have to do anything stupid like that!

Mark
All good points. I think I'm going to have to cut a chunk of matala out and put that largest branch down below the substrate to fit it. I also think I'm going to need one more piece of ghost wood. I won't know for sure until I have the layout how I like it. The positioning and layout of those branches will change 20 times between now and when I start building the background.

·
Super Moderator
3,304 Posts
I picked up a 36x18x36" exo terra today :)

Will be a build for one of the following:
Ameerega (preferably silverstonei)
Dendrobates tinctorius (how can I call myself a dart frog keeper if I've never kept tincs)
Dendrobates leucomelas (would be Cerro Autana blue foots), again have never kept leucs

Attachments

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Working on a layout. I still have another piece of ghost wood coming. Plus a few cork rounds.
Wood Twig Art Window Fixture

That piece of ghost wood is getting trimmed at the bottom.

Wood Twig Natural material Driftwood Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got the last of my wood in. I'm having trouble finding the right configuration though.

Wood Natural material Twig Fawn Art

Wood Natural material Twig Driftwood Art

1 - 20 of 30 Posts