Dendroboard banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Thanks for the response! The tank there in does have quite a few hiding spots, between drift wood plants, and leaf litter, and the frogs are all quite small still, largest being probably between a half and 3/4 of an inch. I've heard that with Ameerega it can actually be beneficial to keep them in groups (at least for breeding purposes) as the competition between the males stimulates breeding activit?, But honestly though, I'm not super comfortable keeping 5 adult inch to inch and a half long frogs in a 29 gal, even with a large amount of plants and cover. A 40 breeder has already been poking around my head as an option, I'd like to do something a lot bigger, but our house is running out of room for tanks....my wife groans every time I mention getting a 150. :)

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Thanks for the response! The tank there in does have quite a few hiding spots, between drift wood plants, and leaf litter, and the frogs are all quite small still, largest being probably between a half and 3/4 of an inch. I've heard that with Ameerega it can actually be beneficial to keep them in groups (at least for breeding purposes) as the competition between the males stimulates breeding activit?, But honestly though, I'm not super comfortable keeping 5 adult inch to inch and a half long frogs in a 29 gal, even with a large amount of plants and cover. A 40 breeder has already been poking around my head as an option, I'd like to do something a lot bigger, but our house is running out of room for tanks....my wife groans every time I mention getting a 150. :)
No prob, most seem to feel the Ameerega clan are good group frogs, and I agree... but if you've got the space to grow up froglets separately its not a bad idea. Less competition while still developing helps ensure they don't get stunted.

Get the 40 and 150, claim they were a gift to her and maybe you can get her to do the maintenance on them ;)

·
Registered
590 Posts
^^This. She currently wants to add a chameleon to our collection, so that's next on the list. I'll have time inside this winter (ahh Alaskan winters, great for this hobby) where I'll probably set up two more 40Br, one for a trio of galacts and the other for the Blacks. Which would then leave me with a free 29 gallon.....hmm. Also, any words from the folk on here who have imitators in with their Amereega? Still doing well? The idea has crossed my mind. Also possibly doing a 75 instead and putting the blacks in with some trivs? They're a sister species to A.picta, so they shouldn't be terribly closely related. I guess I'd just be more concerned with the size difference between them and the blacks.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
In my experience I keep a group of Chrome Bassleri with variabilis. I've seen no agression between the two groups. The Chromes could easily swallow the variabilis if they wanted to. When fed the two groups actually will feed with each other. They are in a 180 tank that meausres 4' tall 2' deep and 4' wide

As far as being bold i keep 4 morphs of bassleri and pepperi and all are very bold.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts