Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ameerega Macero?

I stumbled across pics of some Ameerega macero online. I showed my dad (Pumilo) and we decided that we wanted some. So I guess the question is: Are there any in the hobby?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Re: Ameerega Macero?

from what I hear they are very difficult to breed effectively otherwise we might have seen them by now along with ameerga cainarachi...they are both stunning frogs

·
Registered
3,798 Posts

the closest i can think of (thats at least here and availale) is going to be zaparo. while they arent quite as flashy as the macero or billinguis, they are great looking animals in their own right.

james

·
Registered
10,415 Posts

the closest i can think of (thats at least here and availale) is going to be zaparo. while they arent quite as flashy as the macero or billinguis, they are great looking animals in their own right.

james
Oh, I agree totally James. That's actually what he thought was at first glance when he saw a pic online. I used to work with Zapps back in the day when they were still Epipidobates. Mine were brought in by Bill Samples. I told Max they looked like the souped up, high speed, racing Zaparos! I would still like to work with Zapps again sometime. Love their "rusty bedsprings" call.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts

A. flavopicta > all :D
Nice, but a good, high speed, racing Zapp (Macero) would blow his doors off! ;) After all, it's a well known fact that frogs are faster when you paint them red...ask any Benedicta!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Every once in awhile I come across a picture of this frog but I never read of anyone keeping it. I've always admired it's different color patterns.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I don't think they're in the hobby.

They could have possibly came in a long time ago, but they're not around now.

At best, there might be a couple people that you (in the general sense) will never know about it.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
154 Posts
And this leads me to my next question; Why? Is this frog protected now or has it just fallen out of interest? I followed the thread and that blue Amereega is really nice.

I bet you can find it in Germany...I'm still following my trajectory in the long learning curve of this hobby but one thing I've come to realize is that Germans and other Europeans have no problems getting all these animals that are in "our" hemisphere. And it's not just dart frogs.

·
Registered
10,094 Posts
Well I was going to say as far as I know they've never come in legally, but "TheDude" mentioned they did in this thread...
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/ameerega/109626-obscure-ameerega-species-hobby.html

Didn't some Ameerega cainarachi come in though? ...I thought a few did fairly recently :confused:
from what i know they did come in way back in the late 90s when all ports were open, however not much was known back then like now so i am sure those that came in perished and are no longer around.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
And this leads me to my next question; Why? Is this frog protected now or has it just fallen out of interest? I followed the thread and that blue Amereega is really nice.

I bet you can find it in Germany...I'm still following my trajectory in the long learning curve of this hobby but one thing I've come to realize is that Germans and other Europeans have no problems getting all these animals that are in "our" hemisphere. And it's not just dart frogs.
This is your opinion. First things first: illegal frogs are illegal everywhere. Second: I do not know there, in USA, but here (ITALY) you need a CITES permit for these animals and every births must be declared with the appropriate forms. If you have illegal animals there are confiscation, very high fines and detention.

·
Registered
10,094 Posts

Be careful what you say, as you say you are new and still learning

you are new to this hobby and the same can be said for frogs anywhere in the world not just Europe, yeah there are those that don't do things the right way, but don't generalize. The frog hobby in Europe is far more advance then anywhere else.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I do not want to argue. But those who have illegal animals they have them at their own risk. There are very strict laws here. Consider, for example, that in Italy it is forbidden by law to ship frogs or live animals (except aquarium fish and shrimps). I'm always afraid of a control of the Corpo Forestale dello Stato (the police here in order for this crimes), although I’m in good standing.
(I do not know if I expressed myself well.)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Where in my second post did I say anything about smuggling or illegal animals? I think you two read something into my post that wasn't there.

I hope this misunderstanding doesn't mean we can't still be friends.

·
Registered
840 Posts
They were in the hobby in the late 80's, but like Ameerega cainarachi or silverstonei I never heard of anyone having any success breeding them. At that point they were legal and CITES was not in effect. Unlike the antidotes you hear A. silverstonei was never a common animal in the hobby. Supposedly it was available in limited numbers in the 60's and 70's, but by the 80's when I got into the hobby it was not around. I imported some in the 90's but that was a fiasco.

Best,

Chuck

I don't think they're in the hobby.

They could have possibly came in a long time ago, but they're not around now.

At best, there might be a couple people that you (in the general sense) will never know about it.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
They were in the hobby in the late 80's, but like Ameerega cainarachi or silverstonei I never heard of anyone having any success breeding them. At that point they were legal and CITES was not in effect. Unlike the antidotes you hear A. silverstonei was never a common animal in the hobby. Supposedly it was available in limited numbers in the 60's and 70's, but by the 80's when I got into the hobby it was not around. I imported some in the 90's but that was a fiasco.

Best,

Chuck
Chuck you are right about the availability but your import was not a total loss, some of those Silverstonei reproduced and though mine at the Cincinnati Zoo reproduced and we shipped out dozens I doubt any made it to adulthood. I think the high rate of seizure back then could be offset today by better supplementation. And there was also some coming out of the Midwest for some time, I had a group that grew up about half way until I shipped them off, that was in the early 2000's. That was also the source for the ones Sean Stewart sold during that time frame as well, unfortunately that breeder never held any back and when his group got old...they were done. A really neat group of frogs that is not understood very well, I know even the Germans were baffled and unable to reproduce things like macero and parvulus....needing streams and certain temps, tricky, tricky.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Didn't some Ameerega cainarachi come in though? ...I thought a few did fairly recently :confused:
Not too recent but around 5 years ago Sean Stewart had some on his website from a shipment from Europe.

To the OP, you don't see them anymore because they are from Peru which has been closed to WC export for some time. Last I heard, understory wasn't able to get permits for macero, although I believe they're working with cainarachi. Very similar looking frogs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts