Dendroboard banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had the good fortune to spend 2 1/2 weeks in the Galapagos and Central Ecuador, and managed to get many many amazing photos while I was there. Unfortunately, none of them happened to be of frogs, lol. I did get some Ranitomeya photos which aren't stellar, but I'll probably make another thread for those. Anyways, while I was there, I did see two (but heard lots more!) Ameerega spp. (bilinguis and maybe parvula?) but they were so darned fast that it was impossible for me to get a picture of. Even our guide when we found the second one lost it almost immediately and couldn't find it again. But, in the interest of vivarium construction I took some pics of the area. These guys were absolutely in primary forest both times, not secondary. So very shaded, but from the canopy level not the understory. The ground level was mostly clear with some small plants around, but there was *tons* of leaf litter. Absolutely the key to finding these guys. Looked for areas with a ton of leaf litter, relatively open, and both times I found them they were around the base of larger trees. Neither time were they actually relatively close (in terms of frog distances) to running water. Anyways, here are the couple habitat pictures I snapped. Not much, but better than nothing!

The first one (right off a trail too!) Underneath a large termite nest.

He hid in the base of this tree somewhere.

Location of the second, A. bilinguis this sighting I believe, very apparent yellow signal spots.

We were at 400M the first couple pictures, and then at least another probably 100-200 meters above that for the second two.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts