Dendroboard banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
the Saposoa bassleri are rather bold, Sisa can have a tendency to be rather shy. This behavior may abate when breeding behavior is witnessed, and with the introduction of dense leaf litter and broad leafed foliage.
I just wanted to post in response to the bit there about the leaf litter, as I have only had my Sisa for a short time but long enough to have learned that it's absolutely SPOT ON! I have a seariously thick layer of magnolia and oak leaf litter, along with lots of wood, liana, coco huts, almond pods etc, giving the frogs a LOT of hiding places, yet I see them constantly. They are always out and about, climbing the glass, balancing on the edges of magnolia leaves, climbing liana, perching on brom leaves etc. They actually act bolder than my azureas or leucs do. So yes, the more hiding places and leaf litter you give them, the bolder they will be as my litte guys (they're only youngsters) couldn't get any bolder if they tried.

Just to add, their viv is in my living room, with 4 kids, dogs, a cat, people walking past all day long. They will hang off the front glass and actually watch people stood right up close.

Ade

·
Registered
827 Posts
Just wanted to finally reply to this thread. Tonight I picked up my trio of Sapasoa Bassleri from a member here. They're pretty good sized juvis. I had a 30 gallon long for them but a week after I did the foam background, the silicone smell was still intense! I have no clue why as it was new silicone and seemed cure. It was a basic job. 1/4th inch layer of silicone with a mix of peat moss and bark on top of it. Just didn't feel comfortable going forward with it. Going to break down the wall eventually and save the tank for a future tank...

So for now, the Juvi trio is in a 15 gal long. It's densely planted with a lot of wood, swamp, oak leaf litter, etc. Very dense so I think I'll be fine for a while.

The frogs are gorgeous!!! Will take pictures once I get my better camera. Really just an amazing species. I've own Trivs years ago but most of my collection is pretty standard really. This is sort of my first frog that not a whole lot of people are working with so it's very exciting.

I got home right before my tank lights went off so I didn't have time to do much other than put them in the tank, watch them for a few minutes and check out their colors, then leave them be until morning.

Does anyone know how bold Juvis are? I forgot to ask. His other Bassleri are ALWAYS out in the open every time I go to his house.

Just re-did my tanks and put everything on a brand new rack system from home depot. A very exciting weekend for my hobby! SO tired from everything though. I've been non-stop until now! haha.

Eventually I'll grab some chrome bassleri! Luckily I have sources so it's a matter of having the extra cash. Hopefully my first sales here for my Azureus froglets will help fund that when they are ready. :D

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
You should see them pretty regularly, even as juveniles, esp if you give them broad leaves to roost upon at night.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Thanks Ray. I'll let you know my experiences with them.

One question: Do they come out to feed when I drop flies in like tincs or other terrestrial dart frogs or do they hunt throughout the day like pumilio?
There should eat everything as soon as it hits the floor. lol
Ameerega, Phyllobates, and Epipedobates all seem to have the same feeding behavior in my experience. (violent pacman frog like inhaling of all available food)

·
Registered
827 Posts
Just wanted to update everyone. Frogs are doing great. With the leaf litter deep and planted densely, I can always find at least one or two at all times. They feed in the morning then seem to find different spots through the day. They spend hours at a spot then move on to another. I'm starting to find them in different parts of the tank as well. They will sit out in the open no problem. I even found one sleeping in the only brom in the tank.

Feeding is interesting. They still seem a little shy about letting their guard down when I feed them. I'm sure they're eating here and there throughout the day though. That doesn't mean they don't eat when I drop a lot of flies in. They just don't seem to pick off fruit flies like other dart frogs. Someone mentioned they eat more like a pacman frog and I can totally agree with that. It's not a delicate flick of the tongue. They sort of dive at their food with their mouth wide open lol

They seem to be doing great anyway. I hope they're settling. It's been about 2 weeks. I'm sure they'll only do better as they get larger.

D

·
Registered
465 Posts
i love these frogs - thought i got the yellow basleri a few years ago but it turns out they are the pepperi. does not really matter to me - they area awsome and i love the call. they had a tough time breeding in the begining, i would pull the eggs to early and they would always die. but recently i leave the eggs in the tnak till they area almost completly formed and then pull them. i have around 40-50 tads in the water. as soon as a i pull the eggs they drop another clutch almost by the next day.
i house a group of 4 in a 18x18x18 exo. if i could i would have them in a larger tank but they are doing really well.

i am really wanting to get the real yellow or the Chrome - i have seen the chrome before and they are by far the coolest frog i have ever seen.

·
Registered
250 Posts
As I couldn't find a pepperi thread how much difference is there in husbandry between them and bassleri? Seems to be totally the same?

Would a group if 4 do well in say a 40 breeder? Height or floor space? How big does the water area need to be? Thx!!

·
Registered
541 Posts
my understanding is they have the same requirements as Pepperi. I have 4 pepperi in a 40g that seem to be doing just fine.

The water area is not a requirement and I would think that how large it is should be directly proportional to how much available space you have. So, depending on how you maximize useable space wt your background, I wouldn't give much more than 20-25% of your floor space to a water feature in a 40g if you've given them more useable space through the background.
They are primarily terrestrial but will climb up and use the vertical space, particularly to roost for the night. I'd suggest using vertical space to create platforms of horizontal space, particularly if you're going with a water feature

From those more experienced with ameerega, does this sound about right?

21 - 40 of 75 Posts