Dendroboard banner

Amazonia Sirensis Highland Build Thread

6K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  fishingguy12345 
#1 · (Edited)
My first build was a 10 gallon vertical conversion, and for a variety of reasons it didn't work out. So, I got an In Situ Amazonia as it seemed like the best terrarium for a beginner and definitely worth the investment.

For the background, I siliconed three panels of tree fern fiber. I didn't want to make a foam background, and a friend told me that plants root incredibly well to fill in the background. For substrate, I put down a layer of activated charcoal across the bottom and leca balls in the drainage section in front. Then, I added an inch or so of homemade ABG mix and leaf litter.

Thanks to advice from dendroboard I landed on a hardscape design I liked and planted with trimmings from my local vivarium group.

See less See more
#3 ·

Took this photo about 10 minutes ago. Nearly 3 months of growth and a few new additions. I recently started practicing with culturing flies, and I expect to get frogs next month.

I'm hoping to add some smaller epiphytic ferns to the log on the right, and fill in the background with a few more large aroids. Any other suggestions?

#5 ·
smaller epiphytic ferns
My go-to's are Elaphoglossum peltatu and Asplenium sp. thread leaf. I also imported some Elaphoglossum apodum "mini" from Ecuagnera which seems pretty cool. Edit: Forgot to mention how awesome this viv looks! I would suggest changing the large brom with the red center for a different one as it sort of sticks out and draws the eye in though. Other than that its dope.

#15 ·
I’m adding 0.0.3 to start and hoping that I get a pair. I agree that the back right could fill in a bit more. I’m planning to add a few more large aroids to fill in the space. The small fireball in the upper right is actually shooting out a new pup, so hopefully it will grow large by the time the frogs may use it.

#17 · (Edited)
I decided to change the hardscape today. I think it opens more space to view the terrarium. It will definitely look better once it grows in.
For reference I dropped the left side wood of the hard scape onto the ground. Instead of a vertical piece, I think it looks better as a terrestrial log.

Next update will be the frogs and plants I got from a friend.

#18 ·
It's time for an update to my build thread. I recently added a group of 0.0.4 sirensis 'highland', and I am loving these frogs! They seem active in the morning and evening most days. I have heard calling a few times, and I even found one hanging out in a bromeliad and another sitting right next to it. They're only about 6 months old, so I likely won't see any eggs or successful breeding for a while.

I also moved my terrarium to it's own stand. It provides a much better viewing angle and really highlights the adjustment I made to the hardscape last month.

(spot the sirensis)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.