Dendroboard banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
the silver lamp is over window screen that is covering a 2" gap in the glass that runs the width of the tank. so, yes some will be blocked by the glass, but most is not. The bulb is a zoo med 13W 10.0 UVB.

UVB is what causes skin burns, why couldnt is cause damage to an amphibian with very thin skin? a quick google search confirmed that UVB can kill amphibians.

edit: I am not saying UVB is bad, just that I was using the wrong bulb for amphibians.
Its not that simple. Your post doest explain my success.

Ultraviolet light is Everywhere - in every biome - since the solar senric beginning of time.

I am not going to argue it. But as a professional in this field, 35+ years, with a boss that worked the Reptile collection in the Bronx and Brooklyn zoo, you are wrong. So wrong.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So, to be clear, a compact fluorescent uvb lamp emits no more heat than an ordinary flourescant.

Just now, I measured a 10.0 zoomed compact florescent contact-to basking -surface-temp at 81 F at a measured 4' distance from a provided basking surface. Which is why I had to add additional incandescant support per dimmable bulb for the paricular subject measured , just now.

Man, I dont want to put it like this, but I have decades of using uvb lamps with no neg results, and I swear, if I saw negs, I wouldnt use them.

I may not be good at much in this life, but Im good at lookin at what I love.
No disrespect was intended, and I appreciate you applying your years of experience to my case. I have trouble letting things go until I have an explanation that makes sense to me, so that is all I am looking for. I also dont want to have any more pet frogs until I can understand what I did wrong. Perhaps it was just heat, except that doesnt feel quite right since I took multiple temperature readings each day.

I did not mean that the heat from the bulb caused the death, but that the intensity of the UVB bulb was too strong and the high energy light caused damage to their skin. perhaps we are speaking at cross purposes...

thanks for the information about placing the heat pad on the side, I will try that.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
You probably overheated you frogs. UTH heaters dont belong under a whacked out 10 gallon tank.

To me, your set up looks crazy. And its not the Uvb lamp, its your skill level. Sorry but thats what i see.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
well you have decided to take this to heart. guess what, it isnt about you. I got the design for this tank from this forum, so there are people who believe it works. You clearly dont even understand what is going on in my setup since I had to explain it 3 times.

You have created a barrier to entry for someone who just wants to learn about frogs and take care of them. It is too bad that you can't have a civil discussion after "35+" years as a professional, and that those 35 years have not provided you with the security to help out a new entrant into the field.

I wont be returning to this forum.

·
Super Moderator
2,936 Posts
Sorry, I was just commenting on the fact that he came back to share what he thought went wrong. That doesn't happen often enough in threads like this. I know nothing about these frogs so I can't validate his conclusion, but I I liked that he had come back. Still not certain why my post was quoted here as part of your throw-down, but it wasn't my intent to disagree with your position on UVB (for milk frogs, anyway). I don't have a dog in this fight and I am sorry if something I said offended you, if that's what happened.

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
I actually find it sad, that such a basal reality of life has been filtered through hyperbole and - sorry - but Ive seen it in action.

The disconnect is insurpassable.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
well you have decided to take this to heart. guess what, it isnt about you. I got the design for this tank from this forum, so there are people who believe it works. You clearly dont even understand what is going on in my setup since I had to explain it 3 times.

You have created a barrier to entry for someone who just wants to learn about frogs and take care of them. It is too bad that you can't have a civil discussion after "35+" years as a professional, and that those 35 years have not provided you with the security to help out a new entrant into the field.

Sorry. But your set up wasnt condusive to health and the UBV compact flourescant sitting on a glass pane had nothing to do with your frogs deaths, other than adding to their stress, visually.

Im tired of pretending that everyone is cut out for keeping fragile animals just because they want to.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
There was no "barrier of entry" other than in your own mind. Ive stood and even kneeled before thousands of people on behalf of the animals they have.

Horses to water.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
I know I look like a jerk. But I invested energy, reluctantly, in spite the fact that real life involvement including full conversations, are necessary for client support.

·
Registered
109 Posts

Sorry. But your set up wasnt condusive to health and the UBV compact flourescant sitting on a glass pane had nothing to do with your frogs deaths, other than adding to their stress, visually.

Im tired of pretending that everyone is cut out for keeping fragile animals just because they want to.
This reminds me of an LFS owner telling me during the Finding Nemo craze how soccer moms would ask if it was ok to keep clownfish in a fishbowl. They were serious. He told them no and when they said they'll just get another when it dies he asked them to leave the store.
OP, I'm not saying your like that at all, but 4 Amazon Milk Frogs will soon need something in the way of 36" wide by 36" tall by 24" deep. The adults are pretty sizeable frogs and that much room will provide proper temperature gradients.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts