Dendroboard banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How toxic are these frogs? Do they loose their toxicity in captivity?
Can they harm me or other frogs?

Please let me know asap

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Trachycephalus resinifictrix can produce a noxious secretion (thus the "milky" in their name) but you are probably thinking about Trachycephalus venulosus, a close relative which produces more potent excretions. I haven't heard of any problems with keepers, just wash your hands after handling them and make sure to avoid your eyes, mouth and nostrils (maybe this seems like common sense, but you never know). To be safe you probably shouldn't mix them with any other species. Having said that I know that the guy who bred my milkies kept his breeders in the same tank as his breeder mossies. Hope this helped.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, thanks guys I wasn't sure as the internet doesn't tell you much other then they release the milky poisonous substance.

I appreciate the help!

I have darts to and a red eyed tree frog!

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
As noted above, you want to avoid your eyes, nose and mouth after working with many amphibians until you wash your hands, but you should also keep in mind that you also want to be careful to not touch a beverage before washing your hands. This can transfer toxins to the container and then to your mouth later.

Ed

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
Alright, thanks guys I wasn't sure as the internet doesn't tell you much other then they release the milky poisonous substance.

I appreciate the help!

I have darts to and a red eyed tree frog!
The milky frogs get pretty large so you may want to keep it in a seperate enclosure.

Ed

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh I plan on moving them out, just don't have the tank ready yet. They are only about 1 inch or so, so I have a bit of time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts