Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have had a golden pothos in my viv for about 6 months or so. It has started turning yellow leaf by leaf. It started at the bottom and is slowly working it’s way up. This had been going on for a couple of months and seemed to stop after a few leaves. I checked the roots a while back and there was no rot. It has started up again and 3 leaves are slowly turning yellow now. The newest growth looks stunted as well. I mostly just hand spray the viv (crested gecko) and let it dry during the day. I rarely water but have not seen any wilting. 18x18x24. The substrate is neherp v2 with mesh over a 2.5” drainage layer. Using 2 jungle dawn 13w bulbs. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,975 Posts
Probably too dry at the roots. Pathos like to be watered fully (soak soil and let excess drain off), then allowed to dry to barely moist, then repeat. They'll tolerate more water than that if the substrate is open and airy (like viv substrate).

Reactions: varanoid

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
They'll tolerate more water than that
Yeah, they sure will. They really love water. If you don't have a lot of adventitious roots coming out of the stem, all over, adhering just like ivy to the walls, cork, coir-covered-foam, etc etc then you are not even close to making it happy.

On the other hand - if you aren't making it happy, you won't need a machete. Ha ha.

Tell me more about this drainage layer. What's it made of? How do you regulate the water level in it? Do you keep water in it? Has the pothos found it yet?

Honestly I'm thinking that isn't the best fit for a crestie cage. I didn't think they liked water all that much.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi thanks for the replies. I will start giving it more consistent watering. The drainage layer is ldl from neherp. I have been adding to the drainage layer (not much, just enough to cover the bottom) sporadically but not very consistently. When I first started the viv I was overwatering/underlighting and killed a bunch of stuff and I think I may have swung to far in the opposite direction. When I checked the roots for rot there were a couple (healthy and white) that had extended down into the drainage. I have cuttings from the same plant in a pot that are doing well that I water once every few weeks. I was definitely watering more when the yellowing initially started several months ago which is why I cut back as much as I did. Thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts