Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's the therd time that i'll find bad eggs on my cauchero trio, i'm sure that i0ve a trio because i've find a little tadpole 4 months ago,but now i have find tree clutch of bad eggs, i dust 4 days at week with ben's vit a ,nekton msa,herpethal anphib and dendrocare,what can i do?

·
Registered
638 Posts
They might need a break unless they began breeding not to long ago then dont worry about it It took my vittatus 7 bad clutches to have a clutch with four fertile eggs out of 15 Im on 11 now and five tadpoles with one in the egg. You should be fine. It takes time and be patcient good things cometo those who wait ;)

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
If they are young, and first year breeders, there will be some bad clutches. Also, I thought Pums were a 1.1 species, perhaps it is female egg stomping, or simple stress that is causing the eggs to either not be fertilized or go bad. Also, Supplements are only good for approximately 6 months. I would also suggest diversifying the diet. Sometimes a spike in available food prey options does good.

JBear

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
If they are young, and first year breeders, there will be some bad clutches. Also, I thought Pums were a 1.1 species, perhaps it is female egg stomping, or simple stress that is causing the eggs to either not be fertilized or go bad. Also, Supplements are only good for approximately 6 months. I would also suggest diversifying the diet. Sometimes a spike in available food prey options does good.

JBear
You can keep trios of pums, its the males that usually have issues. They will kill each other if things get bad enough. Although female aggression happens, I have not heard of many cases of death as a result. I currently have multiple trios producing w/out issue and I have had bigger groups than that in the past.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The nancy tadpole are so pretty but i have found other four clutch of cauchero, they looks good for 3 or 4 days and after that they die , i use 4 different integrator for drosophila all fresh like one month of use and some toons of collembola, i really don't understand why

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Be patient, sometimes it takes the parents a couple months to learn to properly care for the eggs. There is not much you can do other than ensure that the environmental factors are correct. Make sure tank humidity is appropriate, temp range 70-78f, and provide a nutritious and varied diet for the parents. Give them some time, wait and see.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
after some months i have 2 babys of isla solarte but the cauchero eggs after 5 days of evolution always die ,i really don't understand why, can the cause be some genetical problem?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
sometimes it takes a couple of m0onths until the parents take care of the eggs properly. How many times has this happened? How old are the frogs?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The frogs are from panama 2011 import , i haven't find any tadpole after the first with sls , because the clutch die after 4 or 5 days after fertilization, i think that i have find 30 deposition

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The frogs are from panama 2011 import , i haven't find any tadpole after the first with sls , because the clutch die after 4 or 5 days after fertilization, i think that i have find 30 deposition
Do the eggs actually look like little tadpoles, or developing tadpoles or do they just turn grey and disintegrate?

You can try a vitamin a supplement, I use Repashy vitamin a supplement once or twice per month. Some people have reported better, more viable clutches and better tadpole/froglet survival rates. That has been my experience too. I don't know if this will work, but it would be one of the things I would try if I was you...

Repashy Superfoods :: RETAIL :: Vitamin A Plus - Repashy Ventures - Distributor Center

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The eggs looks like some little tadpole and after some day change in graY, i use three different integrator and i change it every six months , i really don't understand why

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The problem still might be that the parents aren't taking care of the eggs properly. It might also be a environmental factor, i.e. low humidity, low temps, a bug or worm destroying the eggs. I would wait another 2-3 months to decide, you have only had the frogs 6-12 months, so I think its too early to jump to any conclusions. I know that you are anxious to get them to breed but you probably need to be patient for a little longer.

You could also try to cycle them down by drying out the tank and feeding less, this will provide a dry cycle comparable to what they would go through in the wild. They will stop breeding, build up nutrients and get some rest. Then 2 months from now you can start misting heavily and they should begin breed again.

Here is a pretty good explanation:

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/oophaga/71719-cycling-down-breeding-pumilio.html

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Pashetti, how/why are you keeping the tad in a tuperware, how will the parents feed him? What will he eat?

Secondly, there are populations from the cauchero region that have a lot of varaibility including reds, oranges, blues, golds, and greens so I hear. That is one of the downfalls to non-site specific pumilio. Your 'cauchero' might be from a population with wide variability, and that would could explain your gold-crowned cauchero tad

1 - 20 of 27 Posts