Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is a product i found that i use on all my vivs. its just like GS but is black and is for constructing waterfalls for ponds. i found this product at UBS lumberyard or you can find it at their website at Touch-n-Foam insulating sealants - energy savings foam insulation - spray foam insulation. this product is nice because it is black so if you miss a spot with the black silicone you dont see any white GS showing and you also dont have to smear the glass first with silicone if you dont like to see the white GS showing through. Tetra also makes one but it is a little more expensive. i got this product for around 5 bucks a can and it is fish safe and wont dis-color.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
i've made exactly two vivs so no expert, one with yellow gs and one with black. honestly, I'd totally use the yellow next time. Its 3$ a can while that cost me 14$. The yellow was easier to control and make roots. The black was more expandy. I think the silicone smearing is worth the trouble.

just my .02$

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I use that in all my tanks now. Here, it's a buck cheaper than the yellow GS.

It does expand a lot, but it is harder than the yellow GS and carves a lot better for me.

·
Registered
430 Posts
correct me if I'm wrong but I wouldn't call it an alternative as it is the same product, just different brand name!

it really sucks that I CAN'T find this anywhere near quebec city.... the only place that used to carry it, stopped.

I also prefer the black one, the prices are similar and I haven't really noticed that much of a difference while applicating it.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Id be very interested in finding it in Wisconsin since the black silicone itself is over 6 dollars a tube and takes three to cover back and partial sides of a breeder. 18 bux just to make it black :/

·
Registered
433 Posts
Great Stuff makes the same black foam as well. The issue isnt that it is black, the issue is that it is 2 to 3 times more expensive than yellow foam. So its a economic issue. Is it nicer becuase it wont show areas where it isnt covered? Yes. Is it worth it to just spend more time coating? Depends on your budget.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Check out your HD or Lowes. They each carry a product with a different name made by the same company - Total Pond and Smart Pond (or something close) are the names. It runs about $12 or so a can but is fairly easy to find, at least in my neck of the woods. Usually found in the outdoor section with the pond pumps / filters.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I use this as well - in the pond section outdoors at Lowes and Home Depot. It is not the same product so it is considered an alternative. This product is meant for small fishponds - it can be used underwater and it is supposed to be safe for live animals. we know GS is safe enough through experience, but for those wanting a product that guarantees its safety for animals, this is a nice alternative.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts