Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! New member here. I'm constructing my first 29 gal vivarium. I would like to do a waterfall with egg crate false bottom. I really like the look of the cork bark but they are quite pricey for me to cover the back and one side of the tank. I know that people also use great stuff or floral foam block to carve out the rocks. I don't want to mess with clay at this point. Any other options that I've missed?

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
OK, this one is still cork bark but can be a good bit cheaper. You use scrap cork bark bits. Little one to three inch pieces. Silicone them them to the back of the viv with small 1/2 to 3/4 inch gaps between every piece. After it's fully dried, you stuff the gaps with damp sphagnum moss. Plant bits of live moss amongst the sphagnum and it spreads nicely. It is nicely drained so it also works great to plant broms, orchids, and vines in.
This is the Cork Bark Mosaic method. I learned this from Dendro Dave.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I hadn't seen that from Dendro Dave, but it does not surprise me...it really is a good idea...sorta covers a couple of issues..root zones for plants to latch onto, and not too much moisture while the plants are being established..plus not too much of an eyesore while growing in...good idea....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doug,

Thanks for pointing this out, I like this idea too. Can you pls kindly tell me where I can get scrap cork bark bits?

OK, this one is still cork bark but can be a good bit cheaper. You use scrap cork bark bits. Little one to three inch pieces. Silicone them them to the back of the viv with small 1/2 to 3/4 inch gaps between every piece. After it's fully dried, you stuff the gaps with damp sphagnum moss. Plant bits of live moss amongst the sphagnum and it spreads nicely. It is nicely drained so it also works great to plant broms, orchids, and vines in.
This is the Cork Bark Mosaic method. I learned this from Dendro Dave.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Afraid I used what was left over after several builds. You can buy a piece or two and break it up to stretch it out.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Doug,

Thanks for pointing this out, I like this idea too. Can you pls kindly tell me where I can get scrap cork bark bits?
If you have a store that sells reptiles near you, they usually sell cork pieces. Just search the bottom of their tub of cork and you will find smaller pieces that have broken off. Depending on the price of the small pieces, it might be more cost effective to buy a large piece and break it up yourself.

With the mosaic method you can also jut your pieces away from the back instead of flat to add more depth and ledges to your background.

Reactions: Pumilo

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
If you have a store that sells reptiles near you, they usually sell cork pieces. Just search the bottom of their tub of cork and you will find smaller pieces that have broken off. Depending on the price of the small pieces, it might be more cost effective to buy a large piece and break it up yourself.

With the mosaic method you can also jut your pieces away from the back instead of flat to add more depth and ledges to your background.
I don't why I didn't think of that! I did that with cork shelves in a clay background. Guess I need to start construction...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Phil,

Great idea! Thanks.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I just did a mosaic build a couple months ago (I didn't know that was what it was called at that time. I just figured it would be easier to attach broms if I had cracks of Great Stuff in there.)

Here is a pic of what it looked like before plants and such. Its hard to tell, but I put some of the smaller pieces on edge and even overlapped a couple pieces to give more depth. Click on this to make it a little bigger.

I've included some pics of what it looks like now. One is shot at a downward angle to show the depth a little better. Others are closeups of some of the nooks and crannies.

I really like the look and the cork's ability to accept plants.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Phil,

Thanks for sharing the pics, they look great! Now I need to go somewhere where they sell cork bark.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Where are you located? If you let the board know where you live, someone might have some....
Phil,

Thanks for sharing the pics, they look great! Now I need to go somewhere where they sell cork bark.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Phil,

petco - i bought 3 small pieces at $5.99 a piece which was enough to cover a 10G wall. I cut into pieces i saw fit and had left overs..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts