Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still planning out my 29 gallon viv w/water feature and have been reading, reading, reading. I've got my eggcrate to create a false bottom but I don't like the look of using aquarium pebbles in front of it - it just doesn't match the "jungle" look of the rest of the viv.
Anyone have any good ideas for an alternative to gravel for the "show area" in front of a FB?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Flourite (cool texture) or hydroballs (I like the color)...I got some really cool gravel one time that was a couple of similar shades of brown (no light rocks like normal aquarium gravel) and I really liked the way it looked, but it was really expensive. Realistically if the only purpose it is serving is to mask the false-bottom, you could use any type of rock/gravel that won't leach minerals. You could even use black aquarium gravel to make it disappear...but that may look a lil ghetto.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
why don't you stuff some orchid bark in there? although it might rot in the water.

What would you like the look of?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What would you like the look of?
I wish I knew! Something that blends into the rest of the tank better for sure, beyond that I don't know.

I'm also trying to decide if I want to make the entire side wall of my 29 gallon into a dripwall or if I want to make part of the back into a side flowing waterfall. Also trying to decide if I want the water feature to empty directly into a tiny pond or have it empty into a small stream that runs across the tank into an eensy tiny pond on the other side of the tank.

Decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I used black spray paint...
Tape you a straight line and spray away.
97¢ at Walmart....can't beat it lol
If you don't like it you can scrape it right off ;)

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Flourite (cool texture) or hydroballs (I like the color)...I got some really cool gravel one time that was a couple of similar shades of brown (no light rocks like normal aquarium gravel) and I really liked the way it looked, but it was really expensive. Realistically if the only purpose it is serving is to mask the false-bottom, you could use any type of rock/gravel that won't leach minerals. You could even use black aquarium gravel to make it disappear...but that may look a lil ghetto.
Doesn't look ghetto at all... I've used Eco Complete, which basically is black gravel, and it looks seamless when the substrate is on top of it, so black gravel isn't bad... just don't get the shiny kind. I agree with the flourite though.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like the idea of seeing nothing as opposed to something that, imho, doesn't match at all. 2 more questions for you learned folks:

1. Does the paper need to be sealed in any way or do you just smack it right onto the glass and let it get wet? That may be a silly question but I've never used contact paper before.

2. Do you still leave a layer between the egg crate and wall to fill with rocks to prevent the substrate from wicking up water or do you try to fit egg crate to the edges of the tank? FYI I'm working with a standard 29 gallon (30 x 12 x 18).

Thanks for all the answers and opinions so far!

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
The contact paper has an adhesive side, and it actually is stuck on the outside of the glass. I clean the glass with dish soap and water, then apply the contact paper. If you insure that the glass is still a bit soapy when you apply the contact paper, it is much easier to get rid of any small bubbles of air that get trapped underneath. Also, use a sharp razor to trim off any extra contact paper.

I just butt the egg crate right up against the glass.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OOOOOOHHHHH, you put it on the outside! That makes so much sense now...

Thanks again for the help everybody!

Reactions: frogface

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
The contact paper has an adhesive side, and it actually is stuck on the outside of the glass. I clean the glass with dish soap and water, then apply the contact paper. If you insure that the glass is still a bit soapy when you apply the contact paper, it is much easier to get rid of any small bubbles of air that get trapped underneath. Also, use a sharp razor to trim off any extra contact paper.

I just butt the egg crate right up against the glass.
If you do it with the soapy water, you can use a plastic credit card like a squeegee to smooth the bubbles out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts