Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do the rest of you do for lids on the tops of your tanks. Currently I have been getting custom hinged glass lids with 2" diameter holes cut out for fans, but they cost a forture ( money that I can't spend on frogs ). I know that plants need air circulation so some sort of screening is needed and there is no way I will use acrylic.

rjm

G

·
why not use acrylic? works great in all my orchid tanks!

I get a piece cut to fit the snug inside the lip of the tank and then rather than drilling big holes for the fans and putting screens over it, i use a small drill bit and put a whole lot of small holes where the fan will go. dont have to mess with screens that way. i build a light stand to put on top of it with 2" PVC pipe viola! yer done. looks a little "industrial", but cost about $2.50 total.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Every time I tried to use acrylic it has warped, included a .5" thick piece I had machined at a shop for me ( business favor ).

rjm

G

·
really?

You must check the grade of acrylic the next time you get some. i have had aquiarium grade acrylic tops on my tanks for about 2 years now and not one of them has warped or yellowed. i also have an acrylic tank that i have had for 9 months that gets more light and water than a frog tank would and it hasn't changed shape or color yet. If i could find someone to make my tanks custom out of acrylic, thats all i would have.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm gonna order one of his tanks soon I'm excited. ON my azureues 46 gallon bowfront, I only had holes drilled in a plastic back part and the humidity was too high and covering the glass so I took the lid and made a bracket to hold it open all the time. I then got velcro and glued it to the inside of the lid, I Then got some screening and cut it to the right size and stitched velcro to it, so I can just peel back the front section whenever I need to. Pretty easy and pretty cheap!

·
Registered
487 Posts
lol, just posted this in the other topic...

65% glass/screen is what i use. Provides sufficient coverage for maintaining humidity, yet enough air flow aswell.

Dont mind the dirtyness; the glue hasnt fully hardened yet =)

M.N

G

·
thanks for the link Will, i think that the QC girls have a contact at one of their shows that builds their tanks for them and i want to talk to him too, compare prices and whatnot =)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts