Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I just noticed in my 55 gallon that I used GE II clear silicone in, that it has a really weird, almost mold like smell to it. I also noticed the smell in a previous 29 gallon that I used. The only thing that I think it could be from is the glue that I used. So, now that I will not use GE II anymore, what kind of glue is safe to use? Would GE I be better? Or should I just order some aquarium silicone? Well, thanks

Ed Parker

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
You'll get different opinions but any 100% silicone withOUT mildicides etc. is safe once it is cured. Some people claim only aquarium sealant is safe but all of the respected froggers I know have used plain 100% silicone for years without incident.

G

·
GE2 is safe. the important thing, i agree, is to look for fungicides and such.
GE2 is cheaper then All-Glass fish tank sealant, and has a different smell but is over all just as safe. it depends on your application.

if you're building a glass tank, use All-Glass. if you're mount tree fern panels or building a stream or something of the like, GE2. IMO

G

·
How long does black silicone take to harden and cure? And how long do i have to wait until i can put water runnjing over it ??? Thanks in advance.
Paul :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts