Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally got my almirante settled into their quaruntine boxes. Both are doing fantastic and are eating great while holding up a good weight. I couldn't be more pleased! I've posted pics below. Also note that the coloration in the legs looks like a slate grey/blue with silver speckles but the blue shows up really well when the camera flash is used. Had me a little confused yesterday when I got them as I had been seeing pics of them showing blue. A few more images can be seen on my gallery.

-Bill J.

without flash

with flash (note the blue is more visible)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kyle1745 said:
All the pics... can't handle all the pics... trying not to buy some....

Great looking pics and frogs Bill.
HAHA! I know that feeling Kyle...it's what drove me to buying them! Thanks!

-Bill J.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
BillJohnson said:
kyle1745 said:
All the pics... can't handle all the pics... trying not to buy some....

Great looking pics and frogs Bill.
HAHA! I know that feeling Kyle...it's what drove me to buying them! Thanks!

-Bill J.
I'm trying to hold out for true blue jeans. Hopefully now that the export has started, there will be some new ones coming into the hobby.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I doubt you'll find the true blue jeans as they come from Costa Rica. I think there may be a very similar blue jeans form in Panama, but not sure if they are being farmed.

-Bill J.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ed,

Thanks!! Yeah, these are a bit larger than the blue jeans I have seen in the past. These guys are both about the size of a pair of bris bris I used to have. (which are said to be the largest of pums).

-Bill J.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Bill,

Absolutly amazing! The more pictures of see of these frogs the more excited I get. I really like the texture of the skin as it appears in the picture. I want to see some of these frogs with my own eyes. The legs on your frogs are very unique as well. I like that the color isn't as uniform as some of the rest. What a beauty!
Good luck,

-Richard

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Richard,

Thanks! They are doing great! The skin texture is very grainy looking which adds to their beauty! I'm also partial to the un-unifrom coloration in their legs. The one that is suspect is a female (top image) has much less of the leg coloration and only her front hands possess this...very neat! It's kinda hard to capture the coloration with a camera but these images came pretty close. Truly something you just have to see with the naked eye! Thanks again for your comments and if you ever decide that you want some, don;t hesitate to do so....they seem to be coming in great shape and mine have gained a great bit of weight since I recieved them. The bottom image shows how much more weight they have gained.

-Bill J.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Bill,

Did you order yours from Glenn? Do you have any information on when other shipments are coming in? I definatly love this morph! I wonder if anyone else is importing it? How many did you order? What are you planning to keep them in?

I could ask 1,000,000 more questions. I will PM you if anymore come up!
-Richard

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes there are other imports coming in. I got mine from Xtreme Reptiles for $95.00 each. They are also from Panama. Nice fat and healthy looking. Glenn was mistaken when he claimed to have the exclusive on these Pumilio.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Xtreme

Keep an eye on the frogs from Xtreme. They did not treat theirs, whereas Glenn put them through a deworming and Baytril. Although they might look good now, a couple weeks down the road could be different.

-precaution always

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got these from Glenn as well and know that they have been treated. I'm still keeping my eye on them and will be doing my own fecals once my microscope arrives. Best of luck to the others out there that got frogs off of these imports.

-Bill J.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think it is appropriate to keep an eye on more then just the xtreme frogs. The problem with pumilio in the past has not been parasites. Dr. Frye recently reported his findings on a recent shipment of Panamanian pumilio and was amazed at the low parasite levels. The frogs in your current collection are almost 100 percent more likely to have more parasites then these pumilio. Even if Glenn treated these, a single dose is not likely to have a significant effect and could even add to the stress level. People seem to think treating a frog is a cure all, 99 percent of the time it is not. I am just glad to see these wonderful frogs come in again and hope for the best with them

David Cameron

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Those are my thoughts exactly David, you put it into words well.

I guess it's one of those thing that will always be debated. Do you automatically treat all imports even though they show no signs of being ill? Or do you monitor them for signs of illness and treat them as needed hoping you can intervene quickly enough. I feel that all treatments are very stressful and should only be used on an as needed basis. I'm glad that my Pumilio were not given uneccessary treatments. That being said I am going to send out fecal samples to insure they are okay and I will treat as needed.

Just my opinion...everyone has one :wink:

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I think that half of the battle is over. The frogs seem to be comeing in alert, visably healthy and eating well. But im still really interested in seeing if any diseases they might have come in with take a toll on them over the next few months. And to see how well the untreated frogs hold up to Glens that have. If it seems that the untreated frogs dont do as well Glens he will be able to have some more pull.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As it turns out, I did, in fact recieve a pair. I placed them together in a 5 gallon sterlite to see the reaction between the 2 and the male immediately approached the female and called a little bit. The female turned around to face him and sat in a relaxed position as he was calling. There was no physical contact whatsoever and has not been since. The calling hasn't continued any since then but I'm sure that it will once they are placed in the 20H that I am preparing for them.

-Bill J.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts