Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question, My buddy Shaw*laylow* and I ordered some frogs from Marcus at SNDF, well anyway we decided to have the frogs shipped to shaws, getting to the point, I went to pick my Almirante pair up today from shaw , and to my surprise! they had laid 8 Eggs in his temp tank :) My question being since neither of us knew exactly what to do, and them being in a Temp tank...And it isnt exactly brom friendly just a few leaved plants, can i transfer the Almirante, along with thier eggs to their perm tank or is that clutch pretty much done for when I do something like that? Thanks for the help I really appreciate any input :)

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
If you move the frogs and the clutch the odds of them rearing the tadpoles is very tiny.

you could move the male to the new enclosure and place a number of small tadpole deposition sites into the enclosure and let the female rear the tadpoles in the temporary tank. They don't have to have bromeliads to rear the tadpoles... If you move the male, the female won't lay more fertile eggs and hopefully will concentrate on transporting and feeding the tadpoles.

Ed

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I agree that they probably would not be cared for if you move them; if you can add a good bromeliad or other rearing locations such as film canisters that might work just to get this one clutch through, and then you can move the adults over to the real tank afterward.
Bryan

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the fast response! and I will do that right now! Thanks again Ed and Bryan

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I like the upright film canister idea.

A good temp tank can work very well for obligates. I've seen histos raised to froghood in a temp tank. Almirante should be no problem if it's done right.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thats crazy i wish u the best of luck but on a good note u should have no problem getting them to keep going once in there permanent tank.good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts