Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would share this with the boards, but I found out that Aliflor is only a trade name for expanded clay pellets. It goes under at least one other trade name that's a lot easier to find, and a lot cheaper. The name is Hydroton, and you can find it all over the web and on ebay since it is commonly used for organic and hydroponic gardening. No more paying an arm and a leg for Aliflor off terrarium web sites. Cheapest I've found it is here:

http://southtexashydro.com/catalog/hydroton_1531167.htm

Only $10 shipping, no matter how much you buy, and only $35 per 50 liter bag. They also sell 10 liter bags for $13. I've never ordered from this place, but at that price, you can be sure I'll be picking up some.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Re: Hydroton

I bought a big bag of Hydroton a while back, from my nearest hydroponic supply. It is supposed to be a neutral medium, at least I think so. Maybee I got a bad bag or something, but it seems to buffer towards alkaline. My R.O. water comes out of the tap at a pH of about 6.2, after running through the Hydroton, the water tests to be at least the highest my test kit will tell, 7.6. I can use aquarium chemicals to drop it down to where I want it,(around 6.8) but the pH will come right back up to where it was, overnight. This bothers me because it is an ideal drainage layer being light and porus, but I'm pretty sure almost everything in the tank would like a slightly acidic medium.
If you use it, and don't have this problem, let me know and I'll try another bag of it.

G

·
the thing about hydroton...

hydroton is inert, but sure does get pretty smashed up on it's trip over from germany... even protected on a pallet, imagine that! :wink: anyway,
rinsing it just won't do. if you're concerned about pH get a nice higher pressure nozzle for a hose and really spray the [email protected]$# out of it... even once it's run from red to clean and stirred a bunch, spray it for another 10 minutes... pain in the ass but when we had cyms on drip feed in it i didn't know if the clay particles would clog the roots or something... either way though i'm pretty suprised you saw that much of a rise, i've never experienced that in any of my systems...
robert.

·
Registered
545 Posts
ya definitely look for a local hydroponics shop, I can find a 40 liter bag for about 35 or 40 bucks including tax at the local store here. This is better because you get it immediately, it is not as smashed as shipping, and you are just supporting local businesses.

G

·
what i meant, twisner, is that it's going to be smashed around regardless... i don't mean smashed literally, just disturbed on it's long voyage... see i work at a shop, buying it locally won't necessarily be any better than having it shipped...it's just the nature of hydroton...

·
Registered
545 Posts
ok, but what im saying is it seems like some people on here say there is a lot of smashed clay in the bags they get shipped, and the ones i have gotten have had barely any smashed pieces, so im thinking it might be related to the additional shipping too. maybe not, just throwing out ideas.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts