Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever used algae-killer in their vivs??? I seem to have gotten filamentous algea in my waterfall/pool area. I've been pulling off what I can and even dried it out for about a week to try to set it back some, but it keeps coming back. I am considering algea killer that you would use in an aquarium with fish. I think that the frogs would be safe since they don't bath in the water, but I am concerned about the mosses.
I know this isn't the best solution, so if anyone has ever tried this, let me know.

-Ben

G

·
I agree with Melissa on this one. If you look at the instructions on the anti-algae solution, you will see that it states not to use it where other live plants exist. I'm determined that it does something to the destroy the chloroplasts in the algea filaments. This could be very detrimental to the rest of the plants growing in your viv. You best weapon against algea would be a papertowel and razor blade.

-Bill J.

G

·
/agree with both.

I know from expierence that any chemical algae killer will destroy moss. i have tried several with my orchid tanks to kill algae while still maintaining the moss that looks nice. there are a lot that wont hurt the plants, but the moss wont survive and i doubt the frogs will like it. i use a razor blade like Bill suggested, quick and easy!

·
Registered
639 Posts
I would have to agree with everyone else that removing it by hand is the safest way to do it. I would like to suggest that if it is on things such as large pieces of wood, large rocks, glass, etc....... you can take a toothbrush to it and remove quite a bit. Especially if it is something youcan take out of the tank and run watter over it while you are brushing it. I used this technique when I had my reefs alot. Hope this helps some.

TonyT

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks,
It is growing on my waterfall wood, I cannot remove it without taking apart the tank. It is also in the pond at the bottom of the waterfall and gets caught up in the water plant (looks like grass, got it from Black Jungle) This stuff grows like crazy and I worry that it will slurry over the plant. I guess I'll just live with it and keep trying to pull what I can. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

-Ben

·
Premium Member
13,229 Posts
Isn't algea a good thing? I could be wrong...

benmz said:
Has anyone ever used algae-killer in their vivs??? I seem to have gotten filamentous algea in my waterfall/pool area. I've been pulling off what I can and even dried it out for about a week to try to set it back some, but it keeps coming back. I am considering algea killer that you would use in an aquarium with fish. I think that the frogs would be safe since they don't bath in the water, but I am concerned about the mosses.
I know this isn't the best solution, so if anyone has ever tried this, let me know.

-Ben

·
Registered
561 Posts
Like Ben said, try tads (if you have them) in the feature or if it is deep enough a plecostamus or an algae eater will help you out a lot. I have pleaco in my newt vivs and and they never seem to bother the newts and do not eat the other plants. Stay clear of snails, they will eat plants as well as algae.
Ed

·
Registered
403 Posts
If you're in search of a fish that will do a good job keeping the longer hair algea in line try a siamnensis. Many tropical fish stores call them the true flying fox. I've used them in aquariums and they will eat the algea right off of the plants without even taking a nibble at the leaves like many other algea eaters do. Good luck,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts