Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I've been away for awhile, (this seems like my usual introduction), but I have a question!

I have been having a lot of algae growth in my bromeliad axils for the past few months. It seems to be common "green algae" that I have read about from other froggers. However, just removing it with paper towels and rinsing out the broms hasn't seemed to really slow it down. I am curious what I might do to combat this surplus of soylent green in my vivs

All of my plants are seemingly healthy, I've got lots of bromeliad pups and I've got new growth on almost everything I keep, begonias, ficus, peperomia, marcgravia, philodendrons, ferns, among others. And, all of the brood are happy and healthy as well. So, I don't think my conditions are too humid or too dry. Regardless, I am baffled as to what is causing the algae booms.

Is it an airflow issue? Perhaps humidity? Or, is this just something that happens?

Any way you slice it; is there an effective way to eliminate or mitigate the excessive algae growth? Please send help.

As always, Thank you in advance,

-Louie.

·
Super Moderator
3,299 Posts
What water do you use for misting/flushing?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Do you have frogs in the tank? Are there a bunch of dead flies in the axes? You should be able to remove what you can, blast them out with a hand mister and be good as long as they don't keep collecting debris. Assuming a collection of organic material is causing the algae. I can't think of what else would be causing it. Good luck

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have frogs in the tank? Are there a bunch of dead flies in the axes? You should be able to remove what you can, blast them out with a hand mister and be good as long as they don't keep collecting debris. Assuming a collection of organic material is causing the algae. I can't think of what else would be causing it. Good luck
There are not a lot of dead flies in the axles. I definitely have frogs in these tanks though. I've definitely got more algae in my obligate tanks. Perhaps it's just build up from waste? But I don't think there's that much waste from a few little pums. The worst tank for algae is my salt Creek tank. Those little frogs are tiny. Haha. That's definitely a possibility though. I'm confused how it keeps coming back after I clean it all out.

·
Super Moderator
3,299 Posts
If it is in all your vivs, that suggests water quality.

Commercial RO water is processed for taste quality, not overall purity. Switching water sources might help you to troubleshoot.

Otherwise, light and nutrients are the other variables (well, CO2 buildup in the house likely plays a role, but I don't know that that could make a noticeable difference), so altering those parameters and seeing if there is a change would be a good way to go.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it is in all your vivs, that suggests water quality.

Commercial RO water is processed for taste quality, not overall purity. Switching water sources might help you to troubleshoot.

Otherwise, light and nutrients are the other variables (well, CO2 buildup in the house likely plays a role, but I don't know that that could make a noticeable difference), so altering those parameters and seeing if there is a change would be a good way to go.
I typically purchase water from my local fish store. I've been meaning to get an R/O system set up, but am hesitant in my rental seeing as I'm moving again soon. I should really do that soon. Thank you for the suggestion, I'll try a different water source, decrease lighting a little, and see if things improve. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update:
I have purchased and installed my R/O unit and have my new advanced mistking with all new tubing. It's been set up for a few weeks and it appears that the algae is receding. Not totally taken care of yet. But, after my most recent wiping and flushing of the broms, the algae hasn't aggressively come back yet. So, it would seem that the new water source is absolutely helping. Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I will try to remember to come back and update this thread again in a few more weeks. @Encyclia @Socratic Monologue

1 - 8 of 8 Posts