Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it may be interesting to post a pic of an albino/hypomelanistic intermedius that we hatched out yesterday. I am not sure why I am having trouble posting them in the gallery, an Avatar will have to suffice for now.

Rich

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
No offense, but it looks like an intermedius tad which has hatched early. The tad should color up over the next few days. I just had 2 sets of eggs from our intermedius hatch out last night, one set had some coloration (were laid first) and the 2nd looks EXACTLY like the picture you have. The 2nd one was 4 days younger and hatched early.

Notice the yolk?

Melis

The ReturnOfJ105 said:
I thought it may be interesting to post a pic of an albino/hypomelanistic intermedius that we hatched out yesterday. I am not sure why I am having trouble posting them in the gallery, an Avatar will have to suffice for now.

Rich

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish I could post a better pic. I have hatched out a few early tads. :wink:

Rich

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Melissa,
Perhaps you could post a pic of your light colored one as an Avatar and we could compare.

Rich

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
taking pictures of tads

I can try, I will just publish the picture to our site or elseware and then link it into the conversation. I find the avatars are difficult to see, but I need to get new glasses too. I am going to be busy tonight getting ready for a show, but I will try to get a good photo.

Which method have you found best to get tad pics? I have had pretty good luck placing them in a glass petri dish with fresh water (just covering the tad) and placing the dish on a white piece of paper. Then I take multiple photos until I get one that is closest to the actual animal. This works really good for dark tads, but the lighter ones are problematic. I don't know how well this speciman would show up using this method. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

The ReturnOfJ105 said:
Melissa,
Perhaps you could post a pic of your light colored one as an Avatar and we could compare.

Rich

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with Melissa on this one. I have had vents hatch out like this as well as others that hatched out black, and then fade in color, regain the coloration and so on. I'm determined that temps and stress plays a role in the pigmentation changes. None of these tadpoles had morphed out hypo.

-Bill J.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just the first one that I have seen this light , very light. I guess time will tell. I am keeping my fingers crossed though.

Rich

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK. Here is one that shows off the pink a tad better.

Rich

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you expect us to fall for that?! That is the most amateurish work at photo editing that I have ever seen! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: What fame and glory do you expect to get from this non-sensical crap?

-Bill J.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Bill, ive always known for reptiles that more heat when incubating equals lighter pigment coloration, and less melanin etc. But this is the first ive heard about frogs. Does the same principal apply to darts in the egg-tadpole stage?

M.N

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Moe,

While I don't have any positive data to back it up, I'm proposing that lower water temps will cause a tadpole to lighten up in pigmentation. I have spoke with another frogger on this and we both agree that water temp as well as stress levels can affect the tadpoles pigmentation intensity. I've seen this alot in tropical fish as well. Maybe someone else will have some good data and will chime in on this.

-Bill J.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Was it the eyes Bill? Or the smile?
Glory? I did not lay the eggs.

I will take more pics in a few days to see if it darkens.

Rich

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bill,
Our temps are regulated very consistantly. Are you saying that at, or around the time of laying, the parents were stressed causing this clutch to be lighter? Or tad stress at hatching ?

Rich

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The whole tadpole is what I question (poor work with MS paint) :lol: . I truly hope you do not lay eggs...however, editing a photo to attempt to fool someone is only asking for ridicule. So, enough with your false advertising and childish behavior...you are only serving to hurt the hobby.

-Bill J.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not wanting to hurt the hobby any longer I will switch my Avatar back to the original. I would be truly amazed if anyone thought that Pinkie was the real tad. Sorry Bill.

Rich

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The ReturnOfJ105 said:
Bill,
Our temps are regulated very consistantly. Are you saying that at, or around the time of laying, the parents were stressed causing this clutch to be lighter? Or tad stress at hatching ?

Rich
No, what I'm saying is that a tadpole seems to be able to change the pigmentation do to what appears to be a variety of conditional changes. My temps are also tightly regulated and I have still seen the changes take place. Even when stress is kept to an absolute minimum and the temps are withing the ideal range the pigmentation changes have been noted. I guess the pount I am trying to make is that just because your tadpole is lighter than the others doesn't mean it is hypomelanistic or albino...and editing a photo to further prove your rash statement is not going to buy you anything (whatever foolishness you are trying to gain). So, with that said, keep it on a realistic level.

-Bill J.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On another note, I have seen the pigmentation changes take place within a matter of hours. I've had many tadpoles do this off and on right up to until they gain their permanent coloration/patterns. Also I've noted that it is very heavy with 'quinquevitattus' species rather than the larger species such as tincs and azurues which seem to s\tay very dark regardless of conditional changes.

-Bill J.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bill,
The tad very well may not be hypo. I may have jumped the gun. We will see, I will post pics.
I would however hope that anyone with a tad of a sense of humor would get that the second Pinkie was a joke. It was a joke bill. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :cry: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rich

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
the rest of the story

Just to bring every one up to speed, the original discussion involved this photo:

Then, the photo was edited and the avitar had pink eyes and lips. This is what people got upset about.

Melis

BillJohnson said:
The whole tadpole is what I question (poor work with MS paint) :lol: . I truly hope you do not lay eggs...however, editing a photo to attempt to fool someone is only asking for ridicule. So, enough with your false advertising and childish behavior...you are only serving to hurt the hobby.

-Bill J.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok Rich, I apologize for the rahsness in my statements...I've had a hard day. I guess I just missed the joke as I sometimes do. Kep an eye on that tad...the changes are very interesting to witness. Also keep in mind that it may stay light like that right up until it takes on it's adult coloration/pattern. Very interesting animals.

-Bill J.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts