Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not my frog, nor is it my pic. I had never seen an albino dart frog, and thought I'd share. It is described as D. auratus.

JBear

Attachments

Reactions: mordoria

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
That is pretty freaky......Looks like a ghost frog....

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is pretty freaky......Looks like a ghost frog....
I just said the same thing to my wife! I wonder what the impact is on the frog's captive survivorship? Does this frog have as good of eyesight as non-albinos, etc?

JBear

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There have been plenty of different frogs that albinism has been documented in, including: R. Reticulata, r. Ventrimaculatus, r. Lamasi from what i remember of the top of my head
I realize this happens in basically all animals in the world, I had not seen a dart frog example of it. Just wanted to share.

JBear

·
Registered
620 Posts
That Imitator and Reticulatus looks sic. It's so cool how you can kind of see a back bone on the imi.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Me to, I know that you'd have to keep em somewhat dark, so you couldnt set up a nice viv full of broms and orchids and such. But it'd definatley be cool to have some.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
...but all others are think are just light sensitive.
That would be a terrible way to live/die if it works the way it does in humans. I imagine the most humane thing to do would be to cull the tads then??? Or can it be seen even as eggs?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just said the same thing to my wife! I wonder what the impact is on the frog's captive survivorship? Does this frog have as good of eyesight as non-albinos, etc?

JBear
Albinos are more prone to blindness in every creature. So it's possible they don't have full sight every animal will vary but it is a genetic deformity, it would also have a part in the shorter life span.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts