Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a single leaf of this from a friend that went to Hawaii many years ago..Its called "kalanchoe pinnata" aka.."mother of thousands" So lets just call it an air plant...Any way, I've been growing this plant in my frog tanks and greenhouse for years..just take a leaf(s) throw it down like leaf litter..and boom...it will start to grow shoots!!! So my question is, does anybody here use them?? Is there a reason I should not put them in my vivs!!?????

Attachments

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lets see what we can do...

Reactions: JakkBauer

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More input!!!!????

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes...because I don't have it :p ...thats an awesome plant

although i've gotta ask, why did you call it an air plant?????
Two reasons....#1...It's an easy name to give it...#2..when you Google it its one of the names called out...

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes...because I don't have it :p ...thats an awesome plant

although i've gotta ask, why did you call it an air plant?????
How long have you had it in your viv? In a pot or in the ground they multiply by the 1000's very fast.
I've had them in my vivs for years...you can grow them just about anywhere...

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
From what I can tell, the size at which this thing is mature enough to flower is around 30", with a maximum height of 4'-6'. It's an invasive species in Hawaii and everywhere else outside it's native range. It contains an alkyloid toxin similar to milkweed. It is toxic to grazing animals and is said to have anti-bacterial and insecticidal properties.

That being said, it sounds like a really cool houseplant, and would love to finagle a leaf out of you :)

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For what It's worth ...they don't leach or release any type of sap...the adult plants that I keep in the greenhouse do get tall....but I just keep them topped...the ones in the tanks I do the same...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey, that's way too awesome. Any chance I could get a leaf?

I'd gladly trade if you want a cutting of Selaginella (provided I can learn how to propogate it first - I currently know nothing about it), or a bit of narrow leaf Microsorium pteropus (not in the best shape though) or a little handful of Amazon frogbit or Riccia. The Microsorium's been grown submerged, the frogbit and Riccia floating.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Any pics of it in one of your vivs?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Check out the first post in this thread...

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The leafs will start to sprout in about a week or two...I'll call the growth rate moderate...and I top the plants in the vivs once a month (give or take)...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hey everyone! I just wanted to post on here, Erik was nice enough to throw me a few leaves and I got them in the mail two days ago... Threw them into my viv.... and check this out!

It has only taken TWO days for these leaves to already start to grow roots! These things are fantastic!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey everyone! I just wanted to post on here, Erik was nice enough to throw me a few leaves and I got them in the mail two days ago... Threw them into my viv.... and check this out!

It has only taken TWO days for these leaves to already start to grow roots! These things are fantastic!
So weird! How does it propagate when the roots grow out of the leaves like that?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts