Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm am trying to find a 40mm computer fan and adapter for my 36gal tank. Does anyone have specific links to where they bought there fans and adapter? I would like an adapter with adjustable voltage...

Also how many cfm would you recommend for my tank? Its 30L x 21H x 15W.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
they sell variable voltage power adapters at Lowes and Radio Shack.
I got my fan at Radio Shack.
it has LEDs built in and give the tank a very nice moonlight type look.
I can show you pics if you would like...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would check out newegg.com it is geeks galore anything youve every wanted for a computer or viv at discount prices. I am working on an 80 gallon viv whats the deal with the fans. What are the pros and cons of having then.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Never posted before so I hope I can be of some assistance. I recently built a viv and used two 40 mm fans that I got from Tiger Direct electronics. I think I paid $5 each. Then my lighting was making my tanks too hot so I went to Micro center which is a computer store and found some large fans which I found for $0.62 each. I found a 12V AC/DC adapter which can be set from 6v - 12v and I cut off the end and wired it to all 4 fans. I ran all 4fans at 12v and found the tanks were too dry. I set the adapter to 9V and everything runs perfect. The tanks stay at 70F and the humidity at 90%. I hope this helps. You can also use a timer to get the right amount of air current and humidity levels.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am working on an 80 gallon viv whats the deal with the fans. What are the pros and cons of having then.
I have misters that go off 2 x a day and an ultrasonic fogger that goes off 3 times a day and my glass stays completely clear. Also I have 3 miniature orchids I have mounted and they need air circulation to do well. I like to mimick weather as much as possible. Later after my viv it settled I may create a winter season where I cut the humidity to 70%.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright thanks for all the supplies I'll check out newegg and see what theyve got.

I have misters that go off 2 x a day and an ultrasonic fogger that goes off 3 times a day and my glass stays completely clear. Also I have 3 miniature orchids I have mounted and they need air circulation to do well. I like to mimick weather as much as possible. Later after my viv it settled I may create a winter season where I cut the humidity to 70%.
How long do u run your fans and how strong are they(CFM)?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Make sure you check out the db's of whatever fan you choose if the terrarium will be in an area that you don't want too loud. Some fans really get noisy.

I would error on the side of too much when it comes to CFM. You can always dial it back, but you're not going to get anymore out of it if you go with one that's too small. Every enclosure, setup, etc. is different so a lot of it will come down to trial and error.

·
Registered
57 Posts

Currently I have the fans rigged to come on with the light timers and it runs all continuous while the lights are on. I looked up a CFM calculator on google but its too technical. All I can do is describe the air current. I have the fans mounted to the bottom corner of the glass just above the soil. When my ultrasonic foogers go off I can watch the air current and it gently kicks the mist around the viv. Maybe someone else can figure out CFM of four computer fans rigged to 9V. It has been trial and error for me. However I can say when I put my hand in fron of the fan I can barely feel the air.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Alright so I think I found what I need. Here's the fan It runs at 7 CFM. Is that too strong? not enough?
I'd go with something capable of a little more flow. 7 cfm is pretty anemic. Like I said earlier, it's easier to dial them back than to try and increase airflow that's not there.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd go with something capable of a little more flow. 7 cfm is pretty anemic. Like I said earlier, it's easier to dial them back than to try and increase airflow that's not there.
alright I'll keep looking. Do you have a good approx. CFM recommendation? My tank is 30L x 21H x 15W.
Thanks.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I am looking at these fans Evercool 30mm x 10mm 5 volt fan they also have a low cfm. I'm going to run two per viv so should push around 8cfm, i think it will move the air around enough not trying to cool it down or aircondition it. I also like the fact that i can power them from any old cellphone charger. I hope to mount them into 1" pvc 90' not sure they will fit till have emm in hand, but should be close.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Never posted before so I hope I can be of some assistance. I recently built a viv and used two 40 mm fans that I got from Tiger Direct electronics. I think I paid $5 each. Then my lighting was making my tanks too hot so I went to Micro center which is a computer store and found some large fans which I found for $0.62 each. I found a 12V AC/DC adapter which can be set from 6v - 12v and I cut off the end and wired it to all 4 fans. I ran all 4fans at 12v and found the tanks were too dry. I set the adapter to 9V and everything runs perfect. The tanks stay at 70F and the humidity at 90%. I hope this helps. You can also use a timer to get the right amount of air current and humidity levels.
ummmm. you need to be very careful about randomly selecting components for your fan systems. your power supply MUST allow for at least 10% more amperage than ALL of your fans combined. if your exceeding the amperage rating, your asking for a fire.

Alright so I think I found what I need. Here's the fan It runs at 7 CFM. Is that too strong? not enough? BuyExtras.com

And heres the adapter: Amazon.com: 12v Power Adapter for Arduino: Everything Else

Will both of these work ok?

Thanks
so i figured i'd just let someone else take the reins on this thread, but.... not much has happened so here goes;
i recommend delta's FFB series 40 x 40 x 28mm fans. below is a PDF of available units and ratings from the manufacturer:
http://www.delta.com.tw/product/cp/dcfans/download/pdf/FFB/FFB40x40x28mm.pdf
here is a link to a supplier:
40mm Fan - Cooling Devices

james

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
I am looking at these fans Evercool 30mm x 10mm 5 volt fan they also have a low cfm. I'm going to run two per viv so should push around 8cfm, i think it will move the air around enough not trying to cool it down or aircondition it. I also like the fact that i can power them from any old cellphone charger. I hope to mount them into 1" pvc 90' not sure they will fit till have emm in hand, but should be close.
8 cfm isnt much. watch my video and you'll see a good demonstration of how the airflow is affected when the fan is mounted inside a tube and with bends.

james

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ummmm. you need to be very careful about randomly selecting components for your fan systems. your power supply MUST allow for at least 10% more amperage than ALL of your fans combined. if your exceeding the amperage rating, your asking for a fire.

so i figured i'd just let someone else take the reins on this thread, but.... not much has happened so here goes;
i recommend delta's FFB series 40 x 40 x 28mm fans. below is a PDF of available units and ratings from the manufacturer:
http://www.delta.com.tw/product/cp/dcfans/download/pdf/FFB/FFB40x40x28mm.pdf
here is a link to a supplier:
40mm Fan - Cooling Devices

james
thanks the vid was very helpful. im not planning on doing a "back pack system" so do you think this fan:
ADDA AD0412HB-B31 40x40x28 mm Fan - 40mm Fan
would work? also I'm having trouble finding a wall wart with adjustable settings like you talked about in the video.. where is a good place to find those?

Thanks again

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright thanks so much. Now the wall wart with adjustable voltage you talk about in the video....where did you get yours? Ive looked everywhere and cant find them. :confused:

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
i got that one at radio shack (i didnt want to wait for one to be shipped) they are pretty pricey (at radioshack) and run $20+

remember to check the amperage of the fans before buying a power supply (wall wart)

james

·
Banned
851 Posts
I buy mine at radio shack or I go to the local computer repair store and buy used ones. Old cell phone chargers work great for adapters.

;)

Taron

1 - 20 of 21 Posts