Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is the typical age to sell/trade/give away froglets? I ask because my leuc froglets are about 2 months ootw, they are almost as big as the parents!!(weird) and I can only house so many comfortably for so long. I almost feel guilty about even having to ask this question, as I got into frogs for fun and scienc(y) stuff and not for money. I just don't want them to leave my care if they are too young.
Thanks
Gary

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am very new to dart frogs so I don't have much experience buying/selling/trading. But you can try putting them up for sale under the classified section and see if you get any people with interests. If you were looking to trade them there is also a trading forum under the classifieds too, so you could try to exchange them for a tank or something that would be more useful to you than the money. Good luck selling!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Hello Gary. :) (you are everywhere, it seems! lol)

Rule for most people in my experience is 4-5 weeks OTW. It's more responsible to wait a bit, of course - but 4-5 seems to be the industry standard. 2 months is perfectly safe, in my opinion.

Next time you come down... Let me know first. I might take a couple off your hands. ;)

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I like to say 1 month ONLY IF LOCAL. I don't like to ship before 2 months. Even more important than age, though, is size. They should be good sized, actively growing, and nicely filled out.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree there are more variables to consider than just time ootw, but I always thought that 3+ months ootw was a pretty safe amount of time.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you're going by age, I recommend 3 months. But I also agree with Jason that size is a better indicator, especially if they are being shipped.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I don't think you can generalize - IME, it's specific to the type of dart your talking about. Tincs I would not have a problem moving at two months, but I would be hesitant to sell and transport thumbnails at that age. I think it's much safer to wait until 4-6 mos OOTW for thumbs.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
For Leucs and Tincs I prefer to wait until they're 3 months of age. I see a big difference in how bold they are between 2 months and 3 months of age. I don't think 2 months is to young though. It's just my preference to sell them at an older age. I "think" it helps them adjust to their new surroundings quicker.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts