Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup everyone im building my first viv right now after reading a loooooots of threads, pictures will come as soon as i can but i need answers about my bottom plan.

Then is that a good idea to put Clay Balls + 1 layer of geotextile + Orchid mix and Eco soil ? I dont have any water features then i think to remove my false bottom, thats right ???

WWWWW Soil mix
---------- geotextile ( to filter my water )
88888888 clay balls

Thx for answers !

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
What is geotextile? Here's the substrate plan that most of us use: Hydroton on bottom (or false bottom), weed block in the middle, and ABG mix on top.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Geotextile and Weed block is the same product but im french and i didnt find geotextile in english but when i tap weed block on google thats appear like the same thing :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found this ABG mix on google, but have u a idea where i can find charcoal ?
peat, shpagnum moss, tree fern and orchid bark are easy to find in garden store.

1 part fine peat
1 part milled sphagnum moss
1 part fine charcoal
2 parts fine tree fern fiber
2 parts fine orchid bark.

·
Registered
701 Posts
It should go something more like this.

o,O, or - = 1 inch
------------------ Leaf litter
OOOOOOOOOOOOO ABG Substrate or similar
________________ Weed blocker
oooooooooooooooo Clay balls

You wanna make sure you have enough substrate for plants, enough leaf litter for frogs and bugs, and a deep enough drainage layer so your substrate won't wick up water.
By the way, charcoal- you want regular NATURAL charcoal, no chemicals or you can use aquarium charcoal. NOT briquettes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It should go something more like this.

o,O, or - = 1 inch
________________ Weed blocker

You wanna make sure you have enough substrate for plants, enough leaf litter for frogs and bugs, and a deep enough drainage layer so your substrate won't wick up water.
By the way, charcoal- you want regular NATURAL charcoal, no chemicals or you can use aquarium charcoal. NOT briquettes.
I found this orchid mix made by SCHULTZ who contain Aged fir Bark, *Horticultural charcoal*, Perlite , Pumice, i will try to put Peat Moss, Spagnum moss and this Orchid mix.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Schultz huh? Make sure it's not full of fertilizer. NO fertilizers allowed. You should be able to get horticultural charcoal at any garden center. It is also sometimes carried in the BBQ section as a natural hardwood charcoal NOT in briquette form.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts