Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandfather gave me an African violet, and I wanted to plant it in my viv (since I don't have anywhere else to keep it). I've heard, though, that the leaves are poisonous for amphibians. I haven't been able to find anything to back that up, but I thought I'd check before I planted the thing. Frankly, I'm not sure I should anyway, since the only decent spot probably gets too much misting for the plant to thrive anyway.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I have had them in my tanks previously and had no issue. Well, the only issue is they have done too well and I have had to pull them out because they were crowding other plants that I liked more. Overall they seemed to like the conditions though, grew very well and were in almost constant bloom.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have had them in my tanks previously and had no issue. Well, the only issue is they have done too well and I have had to pull them out because they were crowding other plants that I liked more. Overall they seemed to like the conditions though, grew very well and were in almost constant bloom.
Good to know. Did you have a problem with moisture, though? I've kept them before in greenhouse conditions, and with too much water on the leaves, they'd practically melt. I have a corner in one of my vivs that gets very little misting--just can't get the mister back in that corner--so that might work. Has that ever been a problem?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I have never had an issue, that isnt to say that you wouldnt though. Some see to tolerate it better than others. If you dont want to risk losing the plant, could always grow out a leaf cutting and test it in there before putting the whole plant in.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have never had an issue, that isnt to say that you wouldnt though. Some see to tolerate it better than others. If you dont want to risk losing the plant, could always grow out a leaf cutting and test it in there before putting the whole plant in.
Hmmm...good idea. Thanks for the advice. Even though it's just one plant, and one I can probably replace easily enough, I hate killing things needlessly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts