Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else use african violets? My local greenhouses sells "mini" ones and the seem to stay relatively small. They have some sick flowers though, I'm thinking of getting different ones

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
They don't do well with getting the crown repeatedly wet and typically will suffer from crown rot and/or pythium. Can also end up with leaf spots when water is allowed to frequently pool on leaves. Not something I would want to keep in a dart frog vivarium set up with the typical misting.

The miniatures can get much larger than the small pots they are selling. Transplanted into larger pot and you can expect leaves to increase in size and the plant overall to get much larger but still smaller than the typical African violet. I report once a year to keep them looking good as the neck gets too long they will end up laying on the soil and if wet leaves will rot.

I think I have 4 or so miniatures.

I leaf propagated several for my Mom (at one time she had 200 something violets) and kept one just to see what would happen as I put it in larger pots instead of the shallow small dishes originally kept in.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea not in a frog tank but I don't have that. Just a huge glass box with plants. When is moved them into a dryer party of my tank they really did well. I had these two for a year or two and they've done really well, and haven't gotten much bigger.

·
Registered
32 Posts
A terrarium set up with humidity 50 to 65% is perfect. I end up running a humidifier most of the time near mine as the house is too dry. I do propagate in large Ziplocs sealed and very moist.

Under the right condition (light and nutrient requirements met) can definitely take off. Same time too much of both and you can end up with tight crowns, stunted plant growth, and propensity to form multi crowns. I have had minis reach 10 inch wide from leaf tip to leaf tip and can really be just packed with blooms. The major issue is the neck just ends up getting to long and end up with a "goose neck" as the crown is too heavy and it will start to bend over.

Bottom line if the plant is healthy go with what works.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I put one in my vivarium as an experiment, it blooms every few months. I also tried another experiment, just laying a leaf that broke off on the substrate, it took root and is now on it's way to blooming. I find that experimenting is fun, what works for you may not work for someone else. It's all about learning and enjoying the hobby.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I also tried another experiment, just laying a leaf that broke off on the substrate, it took root and is now on it's way to blooming.
Leaf propagation is a very common method for sure. African violets are so well studied and 1000's of crosses produced and very large network of hobbyists. A ton of information available for those that get into violets. My mom went nuts with them for years are reminded me of how crazy reefers get over corals with trading buying and collecting "rare" plants.
It is an easy way to get plants from others also. I traded leaf cuttings from repotting and general upkeep for several plants with coworkers.

Cross pollination and propagation from seed can be fun but much slower and results interesting.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea I've grown them from leaves, it's really cool to see! This spot is prob the only place they'll survive in my tank though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts