Dendroboard banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
African violets do best with hight light. I have had two in my tanks and they have done well, except they stopped blooming a couple weeks after putting them in and haven't bloomed since. I think they got overwatered, because the woman at the greenhouse near me said they don't do to well with lots of water. But don't quote me on this, i have only had two (orchids are my specialty)

·
Administrator
8,813 Posts
Umm... bull$hit.

The one in my pic is in a vining miniature.

I've got dozens of different species of miniatures that grow true to form (snip a leaf, get it started, that plant grows small too).

Now... having said that. The miniatures *will* get bigger in a vivarium than they will on a windowsill.

Name a plant that won't though (beyond moss).

s
Ryan said:
Dont forget miniture are basically from bonzai effect.

G

·
african violets will get very leggy and weak in humidity over 35%, but will grow prolifically just like any plant in a viv.

Also i know that the standard african violets have to grow to fill the pot that they are in before they will bloom. all the ones that i have stop blooming for a season and few years when i repot the untill they grow to fill the space they have. never worked with the dwarf variety, but i am sure that it is a very similar plant.

G

·
Some one correct me if im wrong but I know that when i water my mom's African Violets she always tells me to keep the water off the leaves because they cant tolerate it or it buns them or something. After all isint that why they have those special pots for them :? . Wont the condensation on the leaves accumulate and cause the same efefct as if you spryed them or watered their leaves?

·
Administrator
8,813 Posts
The special pots just work. They're "self watering pots" and really have nothing to do with the leaves.

I've soaked my leaves to no ill effect to the plant.

Seems to be a misconceived rumor (as everyone mentions it).

s

G

·
the reason you dont want to get water on the leaves is because the drops will act like a lense and focus the sun onto the leaf and burn it. violets like bright indirect sun, but they will wilt and burn easily in full sunlight. i always water mine at night before i go to bed so i dont have to worry about it =)

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys. I'll try it in the tank. It didn't have a tag on it and wasn't in bloom, so the color will be a surprise once it does. I plan to have my tank very well lit, so hopefully it will do well.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Here is a pic. of one that has been in my azureus tank for about six months. The thing grows out of control; I always have to cut it back. Did some today and stuck the cut leaves in the dirt to see if they will root.
The roots grow all up the back wall of the tank.
Anyways here are some pics.
ADAM

1 - 16 of 16 Posts