Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter has a African dwarf frogs he's had for 3 months now about 4 days ago we noticed a red bump on his nose that seems to not be going away is there anything I can do to fix this we bought furan 2.. will that help and if so do I need to take him out of the tank that he's in with the beta

·
Super Moderator
3,316 Posts
I've not treated aquatic frogs with any antibiotics. That said, I prefer Maracyn over Furan for fish, since nitrofurazone is really hard on fish. Maracyn 2 would be my first choice in such a case for antibiotics. I personally tend to treat aquatics in the main tank when possible, so based on the little info you've given I'd leave in with the betta unless you have a stable hospital tank set up.

If you could post a pic of the frog, and of the tank, people could likely give more specific recommendations.

Going forward, make sure that the filtration/water changes are very good for dwarf frogs. Even with the best of care, African Dwarf Frogs are not really hardy. Also, since they're all wild caught, I don't recommend them as pets in general. That's only useful advice for the future, of course, so for now I hope yours heals up. :)

Reactions: FroggerFrog

·
Registered
209 Posts
This seems to be troubling. I have one idea though. A common bacterial infection in ADF is “Red Leg” disease. The disease, unfortunately seems to have a high mortality rate. I hope you can take the poor guy to the vet.

Here’s a link to an article by Animal Planet that sums it up. Yes, Animal Planet isn’t that reliable (cough cough finding bigfoot) but I believe that this article is well written and easy to understand.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My daughter has a African dwarf frogs he's had for 3 months now about 4 days ago we noticed a red bump on his nose that seems to not be going away is there anything I can do to fix this we bought furan 2.. will that help and if so do I need to take him out of the tank that he's in with the beta
Red leg disease is very likely. Or, is it possible that the beta might have caused an injury? I’ve had AFDs and would be hesitant to put them in with a betta, especially if the tank is crowded and/or smaller than 10 gallons. What size is your tank, btw?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts