Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
African Big-eyed Tree Frog (Leptopelis Vermiculatus)

I have been talking about them recently so I figured I show some pictures of some that are in my colony here at the house. Sorry if the pictures aren't good I apologize but it's all I got. LOL :D So enjoy.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Those are pretty sweet! Are they dimorphic or can they change colors?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Those are pretty sweet! Are they dimorphic or can they change colors?
The first picture is a female and the other two are males, just to clarify things first. The females have a very army camo coloration but some can be brown to green. It's pretty amazing. I have 3 females that look almost nothing a like. The three males are completely different as well. Most people are used to the coloration of the green males rather than the mixed coloration. The problem is that their cousins, Leptopelis flavomaculatus, have over lapping territories with the Leptopelis Vermiculatus, so the two species intermix during breeding seasons. So what you get is a mixing of various natural coloration between the two. Most people get the two species confused as one has very slight differences than the other. Frog Colors Prime example is the first top picture on the right. That is the Frog Colors It's all very interesting to me so I decided to start a scientific study on them. Even babies turn from one color and end up a different the next.

Josh- You can come over anytime and bring me that culture and see them. No big deal. :D

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those are pretty cool Merek! Have you had any calling yet? If so what does it sound like?

Chris
Thanks and Oh yeah! LOL I have that down to a science now. They will call on demand for me, well like 80% of the time anyway. I can't tell you more but it makes me laugh every time I hear them...it sounds kinda like a quaking sound or a duck being stepped on...like a ( @ @ @ ) sound. They have three distinct calls: (@ @ @) - looking for females ( a drum roll sound with @ @ @ at the end of the repetitive noise ) - looking for other males of its species and the last is quit unusual which I can't really describe. My purpose is to study their breeding behavior and report everything I see in my study. So it's fun watching run around the tank and do what they do.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had one successful breeding adventure but I don't know what happen or what I did or if I did anything at all. LOL But I eventually gave up on the project. I still have them but not interested in breeding them anymore. They're cool frogs to have though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts