Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a tree frog guy for a while but have always admired dart frogs. Resently i was at an expo in idiana and the dart frog lady recommended i got on here to get information from people with experience. I really no very little about dart frogs and any advise on setting up and starting with thse dazzling frogs would begreatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Good to see another IL frogger on here. Heres a link that kyle has set up and should cover everything you need to know. http://outlander.pointclark.net/

If you have any specific question feel free to send me a pm and i will be more then willing to help you.

·
Registered
720 Posts
You must of talked to Sara and Melissa. They too have converted me from tree frogs to darts. If you have successfully kept red eyes and some of the more fussy tree frog species, darts shouldn't be too difficult.

A little more planning is involved in your tank design. I keep my tree frog tanks relatively simple with just bedding, potted plants, driftwood, and waterbowls. My dart tanks are heavily planted and more naturalistic with waterfalls and live moss. Try to look for pictures of other people's tanks to get a variety of ideas.

Another thing to remember with darts is that you are feeding them more often and you need a reliable source of fruit flies and other feeder food as well as the abilty to culture these foods. I think this is the worst part for people to convert too. Crickets are convenient and easy to come by. With fruit flies you should have several cultures going at once. I have probably 10-12 fruit fly cultures at any time to ensure that I always have enough food.

But the payoff is that you don't have to stay up until 2 AM to see your frogs! My red eyes don't come out until 2, but my darts and Mantellas are out during the day. I just got two more azureus from Sara and Melissa yesterday and I can't stop watching them. Setting uo these terrarium is so distratcing that everytime I walk by I have to look at them. Just do some reading and you should be fine.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Furizzl, Welcome to the hobby!
This is a great place to find helpful people and info.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Yeah welcome! I think darts are the best! They arent as hard as you would think either, just have to meet their requirements, and provide constant food supply. I'd recomend feeding termites as much as possible(off subject i know lol) because my darts go crazy when they see them.

Ryan

·
Registered
986 Posts
In my experience, the most important thing is being able to consistently culture a sufficient amount of food. That typically means keeping 2 types of flightless fruit flies and at least one backup form of food. I keep springtails and rice flour beetle larvae as backup. Actually, my vents probably eat as many springtails as melanogaster.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome! I too am a frogger in Illinios, a northern suburb of chicago. I definitely have to agree with Homer. Food is one of the number one variables that you must have under control when you have darts. Culturing fruit flies is the most common method, as you have probably heard. I have had many friends that got behind in making fruit fly cultures and many of their darts were either stunted or died because of the lack of food. So I would make that your number one priority once you have a stable environment set up. That leads me to my next point. Make sure you have an escape proof, moist environment for you darts. I have also had friends lose darts to a bad setup. Well, hope my info. helps you and good luck with the hobby! It is well worth it once you have a stable tank with darts in it. Later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts