Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeking some advice for my 55 gallon leuc tank. It needs either rearrangement and/or different plants. It has been up and running with the riccia covered waterfall for 18 months. I have tried more broms but they always rot. The tank has high humidity and 7k twin t8 bulbs. I need more plants on the background but everything I try either rots or dries out. The background is GS covered with cocofiber. Any advice?

Attachments

·
Registered
802 Posts
Try a hardy vining plant like wandering jew of creeping fig. It does look kinda bare on the top to me. I'd also add something with larger leaves at the substrate level to break up the openness. I like the rockwork cave in the middle

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
microsorum linguiforme will grow all over in there. It doent care if its really wet. Its a great vining fern, and one of my favorite all around viv plants

·
Registered
610 Posts
How often do you mist? Usually I associate rotting plants with too much water.

One of the easiest is creeping fig. it will do a good job of covering space and before you know it you'll be pruning it back. I used it to cover the background of my luec tank which is just a cocofiber mat and it has done real well. It's quick, easy and effective.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Oh and the viv looks real nice. Great job. You may even want to consider a jewel orchid on the floor of the viv. Just a thought.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Might be as simple as adding a fan and/or a strip of ventilation.

As for plant options, the suggestions so far are good. Not a fan of wandering jew though, goes nuts in a viv and to leggy for my tastes. I left some I yanked out of a viv on the counter and like a month later much of it was still alive. Stuff is evil :)

Anyways I second the jewel orchid recommendations for the tank in general. I'd try a variety of them. Also Selaginella uncinata (peacock moss) would be good for any wet areas. I also am finding that jewel orchids seem to do well when surrounded by it, and that mix of foliage is pretty cool. Its easy and as it fills in really makes the viv look "lush". Can need to be pruned some once it gets established but well worth it in my opinion for what it adds to the viv. Another cool option if you can find it is Microsorum thailandicum Often spelled as Microsorium thailandicum, and sometimes known as Microsorum steerii (its worth searching for all the variations in name/spelling if you have trouble finding it). I've got it on the drip wall in the back of my 20h and it seems to be doing well, holds up to moisture nicely so far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts