Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This site is so helpful and informative, I hope it’s alright to ask plant questions for a crested gecko setup. I’m just running into some tough choices. It will be a bioactive at 18x18x36H inch tall. So far I’m letting my cork bark mosaic background cure and would love any advice/suggestions on these plants.
Soil: Neherp V2 substrate recommended for crested geckos, suitable for all mentioned plants
Light: Arcadia Jungle Dawn 22 Watt 18”

Sure about:
-Oak leaf creeping fig ‘quercifolia’ (in substrate corner, will pin upwards so that I can train it to be wall cover)
-Two small neoregelias (one pup and one mature to be mounted to cork bark with zinc wire and aaa sphagnum moss)
-Golden pothos (placed in cork bark round planter, a little below mid-height in tank)
-small cryptanthus (placed in substrate at the front right)

Unsure about:
-Pilea depressa ‘baby’s tears’ ( could this work as a small front plant in the substrate or will it matt and take over? Suggestions for a front substrate plant that won’t take over?)

Also I’m in California,US having a hard time finding vivarium safe plants online. Is ordering from places farther away on/near the east coast like neherp or glassboxtropicals too risky? Any recommended plant places close to me?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
This site is so helpful and informative, I hope it’s alright to ask plant questions for a crested gecko setup. I’m just running into some tough choices. It will be a bioactive at 18x18x36H inch tall. So far I’m letting my cork bark mosaic background cure and would love any advice/suggestions on these plants.
Soil: Neherp V2 substrate recommended for crested geckos, suitable for all mentioned plants
Light: Arcadia Jungle Dawn 22 Watt 18”

Sure about:
-Oak leaf creeping fig ‘quercifolia’ (in substrate corner, will pin upwards so that I can train it to be wall cover)
-Two small neoregelias (one pup and one mature to be mounted to cork bark with zinc wire and aaa sphagnum moss)
-Golden pothos (placed in cork bark round planter, a little below mid-height in tank)
-small cryptanthus (placed in substrate at the front right)

Unsure about:
-Pilea depressa ‘baby’s tears’ ( could this work as a small front plant in the substrate or will it matt and take over? Suggestions for a front substrate plant that won’t take over?)

Also I’m in California,US having a hard time finding vivarium safe plants online. Is ordering from places farther away on/near the east coast like neherp or glassboxtropicals too risky? Any recommended plant places close to me?

Thank you!
Hi there. I'll take a stab at this based off my experience. I have not kept crested geckos, but my understanding is that they require less humidity and drier conditions overall than our dart frogs that we focus on here. I have grown all the plants you have mentioned in my dart frog setups with the exception of the cryptanthus.

Oak leaf ficus will do well, but I find it likes higher humidity and moisture more than other cultivars of Ficus pumilo. I think it would do ok in your tank, but it may not climb as aggressively as you hope if the background isn't getting sprayed down regularly.

You are spot on with the neorelias. Mount them epiphitically, don't plunge them into the substrate.

Pothos, you can't kill it wherever you put it.

Baby tears should do ok down low.

I would let the plants establish themselves well before adding a gecko though. Geckos have a lot more mass and weight than our frogs and I suspect they will tear down, trample, dislodge everything that isn't established.

I used to fear having plants shipped to me. Eventually I gave it a shot and have confidence in it now. I have lost a couple of things due to shipping stress (I always select and pay for expedited shipping but it happens), but for the most part I have had no problems. I have used both those vendors successfully.

What part of California? It's a big state hahaha. Happy to point you to some good places if you are near me. And keep in mind that there are many hobbyists here on DB that are likely in your area that may be willing to sell or trade you stuff. Good luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi there. I'll take a stab at this based off my experience. I have not kept crested geckos, but my understanding is that they require less humidity and drier conditions overall than our dart frogs that we focus on here. I have grown all the plants you have mentioned in my dart frog setups with the exception of the cryptanthus.

Oak leaf ficus will do well, but I find it likes higher humidity and moisture more than other cultivars of Ficus pumilo. I think it would do ok in your tank, but it may not climb as aggressively as you hope if the background isn't getting sprayed down regularly.

You are spot on with the neorelias. Mount them epiphitically, don't plunge them into the substrate.

Pothos, you can't kill it wherever you put it.

Baby tears should do ok down low.

I would let the plants establish themselves well before adding a gecko though. Geckos have a lot more mass and weight than our frogs and I suspect they will tear down, trample, dislodge everything that isn't established.

I used to fear having plants shipped to me. Eventually I gave it a shot and have confidence in it now. I have lost a couple of things due to shipping stress (I always select and pay for expedited shipping but it happens), but for the most part I have had no problems. I have used both those vendors successfully.

What part of California? It's a big state hahaha. Happy to point you to some good places if you are near me. And keep in mind that there are many hobbyists here on DB that are likely in your area that may be willing to sell or trade you stuff. Good luck.
Thanks so much! I appreciate all this info! i definitely plan to let the whole tank cycle for probably six weeks before I put my gecko in. I’m willing to give the oak leaf the necessary tlc it requires as well. I’m in Northern California near the Bay Area looking for at least 3in sizes of these plants, since I’m completely new to plant keeping and don’t risk anything with cuttings. Thanks again!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Make sure you give him a nice climbing spot/ ledge. My crested gecko destroyed most of my plants trying to climb them and I rarely see him on the ground.
Oh yeah I have lots of cork bark, made some diy vines, and am going to get a nice ghost wood branch in there as well! she’ll be able to climb her butt off lol.

·
Registered
E. Anthonyii Santa Isabels
162 Posts
Thanks so much! I appreciate all this info! i definitely plan to let the whole tank cycle for probably six weeks before I put my gecko in. I’m willing to give the oak leaf the necessary tlc it requires as well. I’m in Northern California near the Bay Area looking for at least 3in sizes of these plants, since I’m completely new to plant keeping and don’t risk anything with cuttings. Thanks again!
I’m in Central Coast, CA and I was also feeling dismayed about finding nearby plant places. I did finally just purchase from NEHerp and Glass box. I’m satisfied with what I got, all well packed and good condition. The brom I got from Josh’s was a bit more iffy, tbh, than the ones I got on Glass Box. A couple plant clippings snapped in shipping, but that’s totally fine, few more pieces to propagate. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m in Central Coast, CA and I was also feeling dismayed about finding nearby plant places. I did finally just purchase from NEHerp and Glass box. I’m satisfied with what I got, all well packed and good condition. The brom I got from Josh’s was a bit more iffy, tbh, than the ones I got on Glass Box. A couple plant clippings snapped in shipping, but that’s totally fine, few more pieces to propagate. :)
Woah you got plants shipped all the way from neherp and they were fine? I wanted to order from them because they had basically everything on my list, but I thought the plants would get too damaged on such a long journey (also the shipping costs are pretty expensive). I may reconsider if your plant orders from CA turned out fine. also If you used springtails or isopods as clean up crew can I also ask where you got those? All of the places I keep finding that sell them are on or close to the east coast. Thank you!

·
Registered
E. Anthonyii Santa Isabels
162 Posts
Woah you got plants shipped all the way from neherp and they were fine? I wanted to order from them because they had basically everything on my list, but I thought the plants would get too damaged on such a long journey (also the shipping costs are pretty expensive). I may reconsider if your plant orders from CA turned out fine. also If you used springtails or isopods as clean up crew can I also ask where you got those? All of the places I keep finding that sell them are on or close to the east coast. Thank you!
Yes, although I will admit that I didn’t get many from these online purchases. I was mostly getting bromeliad offsets, live moss, etc. things that are difficult to just buy from a nursery. Well, also some vining plant clippings, so things that can just be wrapped and shipped ok. My ferns were from a local nursery, just bare rooted and soaked them in a cleaning solution to make sure they were viv safe. The shipping does get expensive, so that’s why I was trying to be strategic about it and only get what I just could not find locally.
Clean up crew, I didn’t ship (because of costs and all that). Try calling around local pet stores. Unfortunately, there aren’t many where I’m at, and none had them in stock, so it took an hour drive down to the L.A. area for me to get them. It was a nice drive at least, quick COVID-safe in and out. I’m hoping the more local places get back to me soon, so I don’t have to make the drive again for the springtail culture I intend to start...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, although I will admit that I didn’t get many from these online purchases. I was mostly getting bromeliad offsets, live moss, etc. things that are difficult to just buy from a nursery. Well, also some vining plant clippings, so things that can just be wrapped and shipped ok. My ferns were from a local nursery, just bare rooted and soaked them in a cleaning solution to make sure they were viv safe. The shipping does get expensive, so that’s why I was trying to be strategic about it and only get what I just could not find locally.
Clean up crew, I didn’t ship (because of costs and all that). Try calling around local pet stores. Unfortunately, there aren’t many where I’m at, and none had them in stock, so it took an hour drive down to the L.A. area for me to get them. It was a nice drive at least, quick COVID-safe in and out. I’m hoping the more local places get back to me soon, so I don’t have to make the drive again for the springtail culture I intend to start...
Thank you, this was super helpful. I’ll take a peek at some local nurseries for the plants, I’m sure I can find them and see about more pet stores for the clean up crew.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts