Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm working on my first serious display tank and need some advice. I have already siliconed a mat of epiweb to the back, and I have a large piece of driftwood that I want to attach to the epiweb. It is a fairly large piece (and absofrikkinlutely amazing, credit will be posted when I am finished the tank!) weighing 10-15lbs. I will be putting in supports on the base so it is not completely hanging onto the background. My question is, what is the best way to attach the wood to the epiweb? Silicone? Greatstuff? Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Idk much about epiweb but it seems like a good idea to cut the epiweb so that the wood is attached to the glass instead, seems a bit sturdier, I think silicone great stuff or gorilla glue will all work...

·
Registered
635 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm working on my first serious display tank and need some advice. I have already siliconed a mat of epiweb to the back, and I have a large piece of driftwood that I want to attach to the epiweb. It is a fairly large piece (and absofrikkinlutely amazing, credit will be posted when I am finished the tank!) weighing 10-15lbs. I will be putting in supports on the base so it is not completely hanging onto the background. My question is, what is the best way to attach the wood to the epiweb? Silicone? Greatstuff? Any other suggestions?
I would of suggested cutting a circle in the epiweb so you could put silicone or great stuff directly on the glass. For now, i wouldnt know if greatstuff sticks on epiweb. It is a good thing its not hanging onto the background. Adding substrate around the base so it wont move is your best bet.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Idk much about epiweb but it seems like a good idea to cut the epiweb so that the wood is attached to the glass instead, seems a bit sturdier

I would of suggested cutting a circle in the epiweb so you could put silicone or great stuff directly on the glass.
Yes thats what I should have done... I had originally planned on having the wood freestanding. But the plan changed a little. I'm going to mess around with the epiweb, see how easy it is to carve and remove a section...

·
Registered
454 Posts
I ran into a similar problem with my current "mega" build and a large log sticking out of my back wall. The way I ultimately solved this problem was by going to Home Depot gardening section. You can find the thin, sturdy, plastic rods used for vining plants or as cheap posts for tiny wire-fencing projects....

The plastic rod I bought is like 0.25" x 6' tall and cost only $0.98. I have it basically propping up the large log at a slight angle from the ground. Since it is thin and small, it can be covered up with moss / plants relatively easily. Also, they are green by default (although I wish they were brown :p)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts